Changing Profile Name in WiiWare Version

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Changing Profile Name in WiiWare VersionZathras1001/28/2009 - 09:37

Having purchased World of Goo for both Wii and PC, 'cause you just can't get enough Goo, I do have one minor frustration with the WiiWare version.  Apparently it's not possible to change a player profile name on the Wii.  When you create a profile, it names it "Goo Slot #1" or #2, and so on, and I'm not finding how to change it to something less generic.  You can click on it with "A" to select it, you can delete it, but (and I'm probably going to feel stupid when I find out) how do you change the text?

Thanks,

Z.

Re: Changing Profile Name in WiiWare VersionSoultaker01/28/2009 - 10:32

You can't; since the Wii has no keyboard, the ability to name profiles was removed from the Wii (this was the only thing in the game that required keyboard input).

Re: Changing Profile Name in WiiWare VersionZathras1001/28/2009 - 14:50

Aha!  So I'm *not* going crazy!  :-)

So even if I hook a USB keyboard up to the Wii (I'm new to the Wii, but had heard you could do that) I can't type in a new name?  Oh, well.  Annoying, but hardly a deal-breaker.  And I play it more on my PC anyway.

So does the WiiWare version do the World of Goo Corporation meta-game then?

Z.

Re: Changing Profile Name in WiiWare VersionSoultaker01/28/2009 - 15:08

Quote:
So even if I hook a USB keyboard up to the Wii I can't type in a new name?

Nope, there is no keyboard support at all.

Quote:

The Wii doesn't have network connectivity either, so you can play in WoGC but your scores aren't sent to the leaderboard (and you don't see clouds from other players). That applies to scores from normallevels too by the way.

The main thing the Wii has going for it are that you can play it from your livingroom (probably more convenient with the Wiimote than with a mouse) and you can play with upto four players together.

Re: Changing Profile Name in WiiWare VersionZathras1001/28/2009 - 16:01

Actually, the Wii has an 802.11b/g wireless interface natively and a USB Ethernet adapter as an add-on, which is how it pulls its system updates, and how you download WiiWare apps like WoG.  By additionally downloading the Internet Channel (basically a customized version of the Opera browser) you can get access to the WWW.

But if WoG isn't written to take advantage of that, no big.

Z.

Re: Changing Profile Name in WiiWare Versionimhoteptoo03/24/2009 - 19:04

Quote:

The Wii doesn't have network connectivity either, so you can play in WoGC but your scores aren't sent to the leaderboard (and you don't see clouds from other players). That applies to scores from normallevels too by the way.

The main thing the Wii has going for it are that you can play it from your livingroom (probably more convenient with the Wiimote than with a mouse) and you can play with upto four players together.

If your Wii is properly connected, you should have web access via WiiConnect24.  However, it may not be actively looking for a signal while you are playing WoG. 

My way of kicking start the WoG Corp score comparison is to always go to the Shopping channel before I start the WoG game.  That'll make sure your are actively connected.  Once that's done, I'm always able to see other people's scores at the corporate level.  However, on Wii you can only see the country and score.  On Steam you can see username as well.