set desktop color depth to 16

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
set desktop color depth to 16llaughrey01/31/2009 - 21:27

I had World of Goo running on my laptop under Windows Vista and another copy on my desktop under Windows XP.  I wanted it to run inside a window, and learned that you can press alt-enter to make that happen.  In XP, that worked fine, but when I tried it in Vista, I got a "fatal error: set desktop color depth to 16."  Since then I have rebooted, repaired, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted again, and changed the display color setting to 16 several times.  The error continues to occur.  While the error was displayed, and the display was obviously in an unusual setting, I checked the display color setting again, and it had been reset to 8-bit.  I was able to change it to 16, but when I run WoG again, it happens all over again.  Please help!  I want my World of Goo back!

Thanks,
Lori

Re: set desktop color depth to 16Soultaker02/01/2009 - 07:04

Have you tried setting the color depth to 24 or 32 bit instead? I think it's supposed to run with that (especially in windowed mode).

Re: set desktop color depth to 16llaughrey02/01/2009 - 11:42

Yes I have tried setting the color depth to 32.  My normal setting is 32.  Something seems to be changing the setting to 8 everytime I start WoG.

Re: set desktop color depth to 16llaughrey02/01/2009 - 12:18

I finally solved it!  I had to right click on the WoG icon, click properties, choose the compatibility tab, and remove the check marks from the "run in 256 colors" and "run in 640x480 screen resolution" boxes.  Now WoG is running in a window.

Re: set desktop color depth to 16Soultaker02/02/2009 - 09:43

Ah, nice to hear you were able to solve it.

(And this may be useful to know for others who run into the same problem.)

Re: set desktop color depth to 16jtak7702/02/2009 - 22:29

Help, I like to play it full screen, and I guess Ive done something because now it is locked inside a window, running windows XP.

Re: set desktop color depth to 16jtak7702/02/2009 - 23:19

Ok, I fixed it, Alt+enter works wow, thank you for posting your issue!