game won't run with mcafee anti virus / firewall

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
game won't run with mcafee anti virus / firewallron02/01/2009 - 17:10

someone reported the following problem:
"The first time I played a demo of World of Goo I was running McAfee anti virus and Firewall.  It had not problem with the game.  Then McAfee gave me fits, like it always does.  I uninstalled it and went back to Comodo Antivirus/Firewall suite.  Much better.  I set World of Goo as a trusted application in the firewall settings, but there is no where to set anything like that in the virus settings.  So I have to turn it off to get World of Goo to run.  It runs perfectly when I turn off Comodo suite.  Go to www.comodo.com to download an absolute free copy, if you need it to test what I'm talking about."

Re: game won't run with mcafee anti virus / firewallron02/01/2009 - 17:11

and here's their solution:

"The bug report about the Comodo suite.  I did a lot of research and realized that the Comodo suite has a "training mode" you can switch to.  Have your customers "right click" on the Comodo icon in the task tray.  Go to "Defense+ Security Level".  Under the submenu that comes up, click on "training mode".  Then simply restart the game World of Goo.  Close the game.  Go back to the icon in the task tray and return it to "Safe" mode.  Voila, the problem is solved."

thank you, randall!

Re: game won't run with mcafee anti virus / firewallAirster12/22/2009 - 07:59

8) 8)Thank you soooo much! This was driving me mad with the program hanging my whole system on startup with just black screens, eventually having sound start but nothing else. Eventually, after scouring the forum and finding others had issues with some firewalls/security software, I turned off Comodo and voila! Followed ron's advice on Training mode and it works perfectly. I had been trying everything thinking my problem was related to have dual monitors (others have had issues) or my resolutions, but this worked a treat.

*** System *** Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit, Comodo free Firewall and AV, Spybot, Dual Monitors 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 with WoG running on the larger screen, both powered by a 4850 512MB. (for what its worth).