Linux Multi Mouse

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Linux Multi MouseWindsurfer02/13/2009 - 15:58

I recently purchased the game and downloaded the Linux version.
I know it's a "bonus" feature, but I was wondering if there are any additional steps I could take to ensure that this feature could work on my machine? I have tried
chmod a+r /dev/input/by-id/*event-mouse
On my Ubuntu 8.10 machine, but I get no mouse support at all when I set the config value to "true"

Re: Linux Multi MouseSoultaker02/13/2009 - 16:10

Officially this is an unsupported feature (so tsk! tsk! for asking about it in the Support forum instead of Mods&Hacks!) but you could try and have a look at the log file in $HOME/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log. If ManyMouse wasn't able to find any mice, it should be reported there.

Re: Linux Multi MouseMetalMusicAddict02/13/2009 - 21:26

I'm guessing this thread is about using multiple mice at once. IIRC it shouldn't be possible 'till Multi-pointer X goes into upstream X.

Re: Linux Multi MouseWindsurfer02/14/2009 - 09:34

[t=0.00] Loading persistent data...<br />[t=0.00] Locale en_CA.UTF-8 matched to language en.<br />[t=0.00] Primary language: en<br />[t=0.00] Created 800x600 (32 bpp) graphics surface.<br />[t=0.00] Created virtual viewport of size 800(+0)x600(+0)<br />[t=0.00] Using audio driver: pulse<br />[t=0.00] Connected 3 mouse devices.<br />[t=0.00] resized from 800x600 to 800x600<br />[t=0.00] loading game (version 1.40linux)...<br />[t=0.22] could not load image "res/images/flags/xx"<br />[t=1.17] Game paused...<br />
So it's detecting mice! Though I only had one mouse plugged in at the time. Maybe it's detecting 'mouse' devices that are sending it the wrong signals?

Re: Linux Multi MouseSoultaker02/14/2009 - 09:43

That's entirely possible...

I think every xxx-event-mouse device corresponds with a mouse in the game, so you may have to go through a little trial and error to figure out which devices work for you, and make the non-working ones unreadable to avoid them being used. Note that these devices may be created when you plug the mouse in, so you will have to do the chmod thing after you have plugged in the mice you want to use.

I admit, it's a bit of work to figure it all out, which is why it's not an officially supported feature.  ;)

Re: Linux Multi MouseWindsurfer02/14/2009 - 10:02

Well I'm certain I've narrowed it down so it's only able to read the devices that are actually there... but it's still not giving me any mouse movement in the game.

Ah well. I guess it wasn't to be. :'(

Re: Linux Multi MouseMalla02/21/2009 - 08:46

Hi,

try editing your xorg.conf:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Search for 'Section "InputDevice"' and be sure it's the InputDevice for your Mouse, not for your keyboard.
In this section, add:

Option        "Protocol" "auto"<br />    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

If you have already edited the config.txt of WoG, restart your X-Server, give access to read the devices to your user and World of Goo should work with more than one mouse.

best regards
Malla

Re: Linux Multi MouseShiva02/21/2009 - 13:34

maybe a silly question:
should there be two independent mouse pointers in the game then? or still one that can, be moved by all pointing devices..?

Shiva

Re: Linux Multi MouseSoultaker02/21/2009 - 17:01

When the game uses multiple mice, each mouse/player controls a separate cursor.