Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linux

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/13/2009 - 16:02

Note: this topic discusses ways to run the 32-bit build of World of Goo (version 1.40) on 64-bit Linux. Since version 1.41 the Linux packages contain native support for 64-bit Linux, so these suggestions should be no longer needed! If you want to run World of Goo on 64-bit Linux, your best bet is to download and install version 1.41 of the game (which you can get through the download link you received when you ordered the game).

Outdated information follows:

World of Goo is distributed only for Linux distributions based on the IA-32 architecture. Fortunately, the 64-bit variant (x86-64) is backward compatible, so you should be able to run World of Goo on a 64-bit Linux distribution too, but you will need to install 32-bit versions of the required libraries: the C library, X libraries, sound driver libraries, and OpenGL libraries suitable for your graphics card. I will try to give specific instructions for some popular distributions in this topic.

Ubuntu Desktop Edition (64-bit):
1. Download the Debian package of the game and save it to the desktop.
2. Open a terminal window (from the Applications menu).
3. Enter: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs to install 32-bit compatibility libraries.
4. Enter: sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture Desktop/WorldOfGooSetup.1.40.deb to install the package.

Arch Linux (64-bit):
1. As root, run: pacman -S lib32-glibc lib32-mesa to pull in the necessary compatibility libraries.
2a. Run: pacman -S lib32-nvidia-utils to install NVIDIA graphics drivers, or
2b. Run: pacman -S lib32-catalyst-utils to install AMD/ATI graphics drivers.
Now you can download the .tar.gz version of the game and extract it to the desired location (e.g. /opt for a system-wide install); you can then run it by executing /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.

(A recent version of the lib32-libxcb package has a bug, which causes it not to work with this game (and many others). If this applies to you, downgrade to an earlier version. See this topic on the Arch Linux forms for details. For more information on running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Arch Linux distribution, read this article on the Arch Linux wiki.)

OpenSUSE 11.1 (64-bit)
1. If you don't have the proper video drivers installed yet, install them now. 1-Click installation is available for NVIDIA and ATI drivers. (After installing new drivers, you will need to reboot!)
2. Through the Software Manager, install the Mesa-32bit package.
Now you should be able to download and install the RPM package of the game.

Fedora (64-bit)
deadlycheese posted instructions for Fedora here (which I won't quote here because of its length).

Common problems specific to 64-bit distributions:
If the game doesn't run, try to run it from the command line. (e.g. with /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo).
- You will need to install 32-bit OpenGL drivers that match the (proprietary) drivers you use in the 64-bit environment to get decent performance (otherwise, software rendering through Mesa may be used, which is usually not what you want).
- If you get a message like WorldOfGoo.bin: No such file or directory this usually means you do not have 32-bit compatibility libraries installed.
- If the game aborts on startup, have a look at /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log. Common problems may be that your graphics display or sound system are not accessible to 32-bit binaries. To check, you can set the SDL_AUDIODRIVER variable in /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt to dummy; if the game runs (but without sound) then you must either select the appropriate sound system manually (in config.txt) or install the necessary compatibility libraries.

If you happen to know how to install World of Goo on 64-bit versions of other popular Linux distributions, let me know and I will add the explanation to here.

Last modified Sat, 06/27/2009 - 09:51 by Soultaker
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJanusz1102/14/2009 - 04:19

Maybe putting a note somewhere which dependencies exactly are needed to get World of Goo running would already help. That way people with a 64bit system could try to get it run on their system by themselves and post their solution later here.

Last modified Sat, 02/14/2009 - 07:59 by Janusz11
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxXecuter02/14/2009 - 07:31

I'm running Arch 64 as well. The demo was working yesterday, but not today. I don't even get an error.
This morning i removed some lib32 packages, but installed them again when I saw that I needed it. But its not working now.
Also did a kernel-upgrade.

If i run "exec ./WorldOfGoo.bin $@" in the terminal, the terminal quits.

Last modified Sat, 02/14/2009 - 07:36 by Xecuter
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJanusz1102/14/2009 - 08:04

Okay, problem solved. Its now running on Arch Linux 64-bit as well.

Problem was a corrupted lib32-libx11. Downgrading did the trick. Now everything 's fine.

Xecuter, sounds like you have the same problem like me (and a few others). There is also a thread concerning this problem at the Arch Linux Forums: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=498579#p498579 

Try downgrading lib32-libx11.

Last modified Sat, 02/14/2009 - 09:20 by Janusz11
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/14/2009 - 08:24

[quote author=Janusz11 link=topic=1432.msg9637#msg9637 date=1234603180]
Maybe putting a note somewhere which dependencies exactly are needed to get World of Goo running would already help.
I think the dependencies are more or less I described:"the C library, X libraries, sound driver libraries, and OpenGL libraries". It's hard to be more specific, as which sound driver libraries you need depends on which sound system you want to use, and X libraries may come bundled in one big package or several smaller ones.

If you happen to know what packages are necessary (and what steps should be taken to install those) for a particular distribution, just let me know and I'll add it to the summary!

[quote author=Xecuter link=topic=1432.msg9646#msg9646 date=1234614684]
If i run "exec ./WorldOfGoo.bin $@" in the terminal, the terminal quits.
If you need to run the game manually,you should probably do it as (from the game directory): LD_LIBRARY_PATH=libs ./WorldOfGoo.bin (this assumes you use Bash). Using exec means the shell will be replaced, so you won't see any errors if the game doesn't start.

Last modified Sat, 02/14/2009 - 08:26 by Soultaker
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxXecuter02/14/2009 - 08:28

Oh ok.

Anyways, downgrading libx11 did it! Thanks! :D

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJanusz1102/14/2009 - 09:18

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1432.msg9650#msg9650 date=1234617843]
If you happen to know what packages are necessary (and what steps should be taken to install those) for a particular distribution, just let me know and I'll add it to the summary!

Okay. For Arch Linux 64-bit all you need is to install lib32-glibc (the very basic to execute 32-bit programs), lib32-mesa (3D graphics library), which will also resolve a lot of dependencies (all connected to the X Window System), and if you are a nVidia user like me, lib32-nvidia-utils.

So a simple pacman -S lib32-glibc lib32-mesa lib32-nvidia-utils should do the trick.

Last modified Sat, 02/14/2009 - 10:16 by Janusz11
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/14/2009 - 09:36

Thanks! I've added it to the summary.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxDunkirk02/14/2009 - 12:54

Just wanted to note that the game works flawlessly on my Gentoo amd64 system. Which is great, because I run around forgetting that I've made the switch all the time. ;-) I've done nothing special to get it going. It even works fine despite the warning in the readme about running compiz-fusion.

There are various 32-bit compatibility libraries that Gentoo pulls in, but I haven't paid much attention to them. They've gotten installed automagically to support things like Flash and Java (I think). However, in case you haven't got them installed for some reason, here are the ones installed in my system. Just `emerge' them.

app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-compat
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-medialibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs

Thanks for a -great- Linux port!
dk

P.S. I already had the Wii version. My son wanted it for his PC as well, but I didn't want to rebuy it for Windows. When I saw this had become available, I immediately bought it again, and I'm happy to have done it.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxEzekiel00002/14/2009 - 14:01

As the 32bit version works in on 64bit versions of Linux will you be providing amd64 deb packages of the 32bit version with the ia32-libs dependency, as installing anything with force-architecture option means it's not visible in Synaptic or aptitude to uninstall.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxluckygerbils02/14/2009 - 15:18

I'm on 64-bit Ubuntu, any idea why I just get "Aborted" when I try and run from terminal?

This is my ~/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log:

[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/luckygerbils/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
[t=0.00] Locale en_US.UTF-8 matched to language en.
[t=0.00] Primary language: en
[t=0.00] Created 800x600 (32 bpp) graphics surface.
[t=0.00] Created virtual viewport of size 800(+0)x600(+0)
[t=0.00] Using audio driver: alsa

For a while if I ran /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.bin directly I got messages about missing libraries, but I installed everything it told me I was missing and now just does this.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/14/2009 - 15:38

The problem may be with your audio drivers. Could you try setting the SDL_AUDIODRIVER to "dummy" in /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt? If that makes the game run, that confirms the problem is audio-related.

Also, you shouldn't run WorldOfGoo.bin directly, but if you must, you should be able to do it like this: cd /opt/WorldOfGoo && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=libs ./WorldOfGoo.bin.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxluckygerbils02/14/2009 - 15:54

Yep, that makes it run.  Any idea how I can get sound too though?  Out of curiosity I already tried all the combinations in config.txt and System > Preferences > Sound and nothing got me any sound (with ALSA of course it fails to start).

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/14/2009 - 15:56

I'm not sure... what version of Ubuntu are you using? Have you installed the latest versions of the required libraries?

There are plenty of people running the game on Ubuntu 64-bit without problems, but those seem to be using PulseAudio instead.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxluckygerbils02/14/2009 - 17:17

I'm on 8.10 Intrepid with kernel 2.6.27-11-generic and my pulseaudio version is 0.9.14. Pretty sure that's the most recent version.  I've had sound issues with this laptop before, sound capture has never worked.

I guess I can still play the Windows version in wine, that worked okay before. Thanks for your help.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxEzekiel00002/14/2009 - 17:26

[quote author=luckygerbils link=topic=1432.msg9692#msg9692 date=1234649820]
I'm on 8.10 Intrepid with kernel 2.6.27-11-generic and my pulseaudio version is 0.9.14. Pretty sure that's the most recent version.  I've had sound issues with this laptop before, sound capture has never worked.

I guess I can still play the Windows version in wine, that worked okay before. Thanks for your help.

I'm using the same set-up and it works for me so I guess it must be your sound card or its settings not the versions of the software.
I also haven't been able to record sound.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJayferd02/14/2009 - 19:20

How exactly would I go about downgrading libx11?

The game runs, but the video rapidly flashes between the game and black...

I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 x64, with Linux 2.6.27-11-generic.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJayden02/14/2009 - 22:11

I can't get it to run on 64-bit Arch Linux.
After installing the appropriate lib32's the game exits without any errors to the console and WorldOfGoo.log is empty.
Any tips for me?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxeudoxus02/15/2009 - 02:43

I installed WOG on AMD64 Ubuntu 9.04 by using --force, but when I try to run it from the main menu, I get the following error:

exec: 22: ./WorldOfGoo.bin: not found

I get the same error if I just run WorldOfGoo from the shell.

Ideas?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJanusz1102/15/2009 - 05:17

[quote author=Jayden link=topic=1432.msg9704#msg9704 date=1234667517]
I can't get it to run on 64-bit Arch Linux.
After installing the appropriate lib32's the game exits without any errors to the console and WorldOfGoo.log is empty.
Any tips for me?

Have you downgraded or updated (through ABS!) lib32-libx11 as mentioned in the Arch Forums and at the top of the topic?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxJayden02/15/2009 - 06:44

Quote:
Have you downgraded or updated (through ABS!) lib32-libx11 as mentioned in the Arch Forums and at the top of the topic?

Installing lib32-libxcb-1.1.93 via ABS did the trick.
I was under the impression that if the faulty libxcb was causing problems you would get an error message.
My bad, thank you.

Last modified Sun, 02/15/2009 - 07:08 by Jayden
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxdain02/15/2009 - 07:18

I'm having trouble running the demo under 64-bit Gentoo. I've installed it using the ebuild from portage, but running it gives me a black screen that I have to reboot my computer to get out of. It seems to change the resolution of my desktop, because I noticed my icons being rearranged into the top left part of my desktop upon rebooting. Here is the content of WorldOfGoo.log:

[t=0.00] InhibitGnomeScreensaver constructor: couldn't execute "gnome-screensaver-command"!
[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/dain/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
[t=0.00] No supported language found for locale C.
[t=0.00] Primary language: en
[t=0.00] Created 800x600 (32 bpp) graphics surface.
[t=0.00] Created virtual viewport of size 800(+0)x600(+0)
[t=0.00] Using audio driver: alsa
[t=0.00] resized from 800x600 to 800x600
[t=0.00] loading game (version 1.40linux)...
[t=0.38] could not load image "res/images/flags/xx"
[t=1.47] Game paused...
[t=1.47] FileOpen("res/levels/MapWorldView/newmail.anim.binltl", 17, 0xeef5ff54) failed!
[t=1.47] FileOpen("res/levels/MapWorldView/MapWorldView/rot_1rps.anim.binltl", 17, 0xeef5ff54) failed!
[t=1.47] Game resumed after 0.533 seconds
[t=1.54] FileOpen("res/movie/MomTextSwap_displayloop/MomTextSwap_displayloop.movie.binltl", 17, 0xeef601ac) failed!
[t=1.54] FileOpen("res/movie/MomTextSwap_swap/MomTextSwap_swap.movie.binltl", 17, 0xeef601ac) failed!

I've tried disabling Compiz with the same results.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 07:55

[quote author=eudoxus link=topic=1432.msg9718#msg9718 date=1234683802]
I installed WOG on AMD64 Ubuntu 9.04 by using --force, but when I try to run it from the main menu, I get the following error:
exec: 22: ./WorldOfGoo.bin: not found
I get the same error if I just run WorldOfGoo from the shell.
This almost certainly means you don't have 32 bit compatibility libraries installed. Did you install the ia32-libs package? (You may have to reboot afterwards, I don't recall exactly.)

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 08:05

[quote author=dain link=topic=1432.msg9725#msg9725 date=1234700302]
I'm having trouble running the demo under 64-bit Gentoo. I've installed it using the ebuild from portage, but running it gives me a black screen that I have to reboot my computer to get out of.
This is probably video card related. I'd say disable Compiz but apparently you tried that. Maybe you need to install the emul-linux-x86-soundlibs package too?

To make testing easier, you could could set fullscreen mode to false (in /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt) so the game runs in a window, so hopefully you can then close the window when it locks up, instead of having to reboot.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxdain02/15/2009 - 08:17

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1432.msg9728#msg9728 date=1234703131]
This is probably video card related. I'd say disable Compiz but apparently you tried that. Maybe you need to install the emul-linux-x86-soundlibs package too?

To make testing easier, you could could set fullscreen mode to false (in /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt) so the game runs in a window, so hopefully you can then close the window when it locks up, instead of having to reboot.

I already have emul-linux-x86-soundlibs installed. I also tried using SDL_AUDIODEVICE = dummy, with the same results... I changed fullscreen to false, and the game does launch in a window, but my machine still locks up, displaying artifacts on the screen. I am still able to move my mouse cursor, but cannot click on anything. I'm attaching a "screenshot" that shows what my screen looks like after launching WorldOfGooDemo. I'd say you're right on the money thinking it's video card related...

Attachment: goo.jpg (116.85 KB, 633 downloads)
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 08:33

That's... pretty spectacular. If it's driver-related (or maybe X server related, or something even more subtle) I don't really know how to help you.

One thing that you can try, though, is download the demo .tar.gz, extract it (e.g. to your homedir or desktop) and run that. The Gentoo ebuild uses the game binaries with custom compiled libraries (such as SDL) which isn't officially supported.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxXecuter02/15/2009 - 12:06

Quote:

A recent version of the lib32-libxcb package has a bug, which causes it not to work with this game (and many others). If this applies to you, downgrade to an earlier version. See this topic on the Arch Linux forms for details. For more information on running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Arch Linux distribution, read this article on the Arch Linux wiki.

With the newest versions of both lib32-libx11 (1.1.99.2-2) and lib32-libxcb (1.1.93-1) the game runs fine on Arch Linux.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxamranu02/15/2009 - 14:34

The game runs for me under Arch linux 64-bit, but it definitely doesn't run near as smoothly as on windows. Anyone else noticing any slow downs? I have an nvidia 8400M GS. I've tried changing the value in the config file for use with nvidia drivers but it doesn't seem to make a difference, there is definitely performance issues when there are more then 15 goo balls or so.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 14:41

Have you tried without Compiz/desktop effects/etc.?

That usually is the source of performance problems on Linux.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxamranu02/15/2009 - 14:43

Yeah, makes little to no difference, performance is still pretty poor

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 14:53

You do have the NVIDIA proprietary drivers installed, right? And the lib32-nvidia-utils package? (I'm not too familiar with Arch Linux; maybe you need to do something to select the NVIDIA drivers after installing this package, to use the drivers?)

We had a guy running the beta with an NVIDIA 8400M G (not GS), which should be even slower, and that worked fine, so hardware-wise you should be OK. What kind of processor do you have? What percentage of the CPU capacity is used by the game?

Last modified Sun, 02/15/2009 - 14:59 by Soultaker
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxamranu02/15/2009 - 15:08

Actually didn't have the 32-bit nvidia utils, but I got another problem now. It won't start cause it can't find the 32-bit sdl_mixer.. never had this problem before

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/15/2009 - 15:09

The binary for SDL_mixer is bundled with the game. Make sure you are running the wrapper script (at /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo, for example) instead of running the binary (WorldOfGoo.bin) directly.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxamranu02/15/2009 - 15:36

Got it all working, performance is good now that I have the 32-bit nvidia utils installed. Thanks!

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxeudoxus02/16/2009 - 01:05

I didn't have the ia32-libs installed. Is there any chance of a 64-bit build of WOG in the future?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxearthpigg02/16/2009 - 10:56

[quote author=eudoxus link=topic=1432.msg9775#msg9775 date=1234764317]
I didn't have the ia32-libs installed. Is there any chance of a 64-bit build of WOG in the future?

i rebuilt the deb for 64 bit. works flawlessly for me. it takes 5 minutes. look for my thread titled "PROPERLY install on 64 bit Debian/Ubuntu". step by step directions in the thread.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxVadi02/17/2009 - 08:39

@Soultaker: if it's a lack of a 64bit install that's preventing the 64bit version of the game, you can use Virtualbox to install a 64bit guest OS on a 32bit host.

Just requires a relatively new CPU with PAE support, I think. Most have it though.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxZunami02/17/2009 - 12:49

I have install World of Goo on my system but the game doesn't start.

OpenSuse 11.1 64 Bit
Laptop Compaq nx9420
ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 with driver

File: WorldofGoo 1.40 rpm

i install the game
i start the game @ the console with "WorldofGoo"

but the game doesn't start and make no crash report

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxdextro02/17/2009 - 14:50

Ok, I got the game to run on fedora 10 x86_64 by installing the following packages: mesa-libGLU.i386, glibc.i686 and mesa-libGL.i386

# yum install mesa-libGLU.i386 mesa-libGL.i386 glibc.i686

Still performance is awfull on my Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2,66GHz, 2gb ram and NVidia 7600GT...

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/17/2009 - 15:33

@dextro: That's a good start! I think the game runs slow because MESA doesn't use your graphics card. I think you should install 32-bit NVIDIA drivers instead of mesa-libGL (mesage-libGLU is fine). I've Googled a bit, and maybe nvidia-x11-drv-32bit.i386 is what you need instead?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/17/2009 - 16:06

@ Zunami: if you try to run the game on the console, do you get any output at all? Not even "libXYZ.so not found" or something?

After installing graphics drivers, I installed the Mesa-32bit package (through the Software Manager) and then the game worked perfectly in OpenSUSE 11.1.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxZunami02/17/2009 - 16:41

Mesa 32 Bit is install on my system

no bug message

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/17/2009 - 16:51

If there is a log file at $HOME/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log, could you post its contents?

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxNatim02/18/2009 - 06:06

I just tried on Debian Lenny and I work fine as well.
Thanks you for this version, I used to play on Mac OS and it wasn't in French.
Here it is and it great.

Thanks you very much.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxZunami02/18/2009 - 13:46

i have this file or paht not on my pc

only @ /usr/ /opt/

Need to kill PulseAudio to get it to rundentaku02/22/2009 - 17:54

Even after changing

<env name="SDL_AUDIODRIVER" value="auto" overwrite="true" />

to

<env name="SDL_AUDIODRIVER" value="alsa" overwrite="true" />

I still get just the message "Abort" when I try to start WoG (from a shell). Just when I kill the process "pulseaudio", it starts okay and with sound. I wish there would be a real 64 bit Version of WoG or a better workaround to ignore pulseaudio.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxdeadlycheese02/27/2009 - 21:53

I have been able to install and run WoG on my Fedora 10 x86_64 system.  I'm using the binary nvidia drivers, and I had to do the same 'hack' that I do with Google Earth and a few other i386 applications that use accelerated GL.

Note that this works for both the demo and for the full game.  In the directions below, I have downloaded the demo and full game rpms to my ~/download/games/ directory.

To install the demo:
[pre]
    prereqs:
      - as root:
      yum install glibc.i386 libgcc.i386 libmikmod.i386 \
                  libstdc++.i386 libX11.i386 libXau.i386 \
                  libxcb.i386 libXdmcp.i386 libXext.i386 \
                  mesa-libGL.i386 mesa-libGLU.i386 \
                  SDL.i386 SDL_mixer.i386
    install:
      - as root:
      cd ~/download/games/
      rpm -Uvh WorldOfGooDemo.1.40.rpm 2>&1 | tee WorldOfGooDemo.1
      ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/libs/libGL.so.1
    configure:
      - as normal user:
      mkdir ~/.WorldOfGoo
      cp -p /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/properties/config.txt ~/.WorldOfGoo/
      - edit the "screen_width" and "screen_height" properties as desired
[/pre]

Installing the full game is the same sequence:

[pre]
    prereqs:
      - as root:
      yum install glibc.i386 libgcc.i386 libmikmod.i386 \
                  libstdc++.i386 libX11.i386 libXau.i386 \
                  libxcb.i386 libXdmcp.i386 libXext.i386 \
                  mesa-libGL.i386 mesa-libGLU.i386 \
                  SDL.i386 SDL_mixer.i386
    install:
      - as root:
      cd ~/download/games/
      rpm -Uvh WorldOfGooSetup.1.40.rpm 2>&1 | tee WorldOfGooSetup.1
      ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /opt/WorldOfGoo/libs/libGL.so.1
    configure:
      - as normal user:
      mkdir ~/.WorldOfGoo
      cp -p /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt ~/.WorldOfGoo/
      - edit the "screen_width" and "screen_height" properties as desired
[/pre]

The 'hack' I mentioned is the creation of the libGL symlink in the /opt/WorldOfGoo/libs/ directory.  This enables the 'hook' between the nvidia drivers and the Mesa GL wrapper; it is probably only needed if you use the nvidia binary drivers.  There are many other ways around this problem, but this is often the simplest solution, and usually allows me to apply upgrades without having to go back in and re-edit some run script or something like that.

As far as that long list of prereqs ... I wrote a script that will reduce the drudgery involved in finding prereqs for some random binary.  Here it is in case someone finds it useful; it is a shell script, it should be portable to any distribution that provides 'yum':

---------------------------------------------------
[pre]#!/bin/sh
#
#    find_missing_prereqs.sh
#
# script that invokes yum to find missing prereq packages
# for the executable specified on the command-line
#
# author: Deadlycheese, Feb 2009
#
# license: GPLv3
#
# example:
#
#   find_missing_prereqs.sh /opt/fungame/fungame.bin
#

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    echo -e "\nusage: $0 <executable file>\n\n"
    exit;
fi;

echo -e "\nMissing packages required by '$1':\n" >&2
ldd $1 | { while read prereq
  do
    PREREQ_PATH=${prereq##*=> }
    if [ "not found" == "$PREREQ_PATH" ]; then
        SO=${prereq%% =>*}
        yum whatprovides $SO
    fi
  done
}[/pre]---------------------------------------------------

If you copy the above script to a file named 'find_missing_prereqs.sh', you could then run it as follows:

[pre]
$ chmod 755 find_missing_prereqs.sh
$ ./find_missing_prereqs.sh /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.bin
[/pre]

The output will list all the packages that need to be installed on your system to meet the dependency requirements of the specified executable file.  This script may not work in every case ... but it might be handy for some of you out there.

[Edit]
One additional Fedora 10 tip: on my Dell D830 laptop, WoG audio crackled horribly.  I was able to fix it by doing the following ...
[pre]
      cd /opt/WorldOfGoo/libs/
      mkdir disable
      mv *SDL* disable/
[/pre]
Disabling the SDL libraries installed by WoG forces WoG to use the SDL libraries in the system.  In my case, this cured the audio crackling.

Deadlycheese

Last modified Tue, 03/03/2009 - 19:48 by deadlycheese
Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker02/28/2009 - 13:40

deadlycheese: Thanks for the info!

I've added a link to your post to the summary at the top of the first page, so other Fedora users will be able to find it.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxmanola06/26/2009 - 22:33

I will try to give specific instructions for some popular distributions in this topic.
sonnerie portable gratuite

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker06/27/2009 - 09:47

An updated Linux build (version 1.41) is now available that includes support for both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. This should remove the need for 64-bit Linux users to install 32-bit libraries and drivers. If you're having problems or are newly installing the game, I suggest trying to install build first instead of going through the workarounds presented here.

If you're still having trouble, please open a topic on this forum. If it turns out that the new build solves everyone's problems, I'll desticky this topic.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit Linuxgrigori07/09/2010 - 06:55

Okey World of Goo some how installed in linux but it do not want to install on freebsd 8.0 64bit.
восстановление зрения

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxGMMan07/09/2010 - 10:04

[quote author=grigori link=topic=1432.msg17884#msg17884 date=1278676510]
Okey World of Goo some how installed in linux but it do not want to install on freebsd 8.0 64bit.
восстановление зрения

Linux and BSD are a bit different. I have never personally used BSD, so I can't really say how things work there. If WoG is POSIX compliant, and you've got all the right libraries installed for BSD, then there's a chance that WoG may run. But, as I said, I haven't used BSD, so I can't vouch for anything.

Re: Installing World of Goo on 64-bit LinuxSoultaker07/10/2010 - 15:48

I think I tried FreeBSD once, but it's rather tricky, because you will need to enable Linux binary compatibility, have a relatively recent Linux userland installed alongside the FreeBSD userland because of dependencies on specific versions of glibc symbols (and when I tested, the current FreeBSD release wasn't up to date enough), and have OpenGL Linux drivers installed that work with your FreeBSD native X server.

I know that at least Nvidia's driver for FreeBSD comes with Linux drivers too (which is really great of them, IMO) but I couldn't get it to work. I'm not sure what was wrong exactly. Maybe you should just give it a go and see how far you get. (For starters, remember that Linux binaries must be branded as such with brandelf. For some reason, compilers on Linux never set the ELF branding to Linux.)

It's definitely not a simple matter of POSIX compliance, because the game is closed source, and links to glibc.

Last modified Sat, 07/10/2010 - 15:50 by Soultaker