Crackling music in Linux

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Crackling music in LinuxPizuz02/13/2009 - 18:33

Hi. Quick question: I just installed the game on Fedora 10. Great performance as far as I can tell, however the music sounds like its coming from a fifty year-old vinyl. Is that intended or does Pulseaudio screw up on me?

Re: Crackling music in Linuxspazturtle02/13/2009 - 20:14

That was meant to have been fixed in the beta.

Re: Crackling music in LinuxPizuz02/13/2009 - 20:19

Nevermind. Changed the sound driver from auto to alsa and everything became audible all of a sudden. Ergo: The SDL Pulseaudio module still sucks.

Re: Crackling music in LinuxWindsurfer02/14/2009 - 09:47

Maybe you just need to increase the buffer size in config.txt. Pulseaudio is known to have high latency.

Re: Crackling music in LinuxSoultaker02/14/2009 - 09:59

What I heard in the beta is that especially older versions of Pulse Audio are buggy.

Increasing the buffer size can usually remove crackling, but it increases the audio latency even further, which does detract a bit from the game play. If Pulse Audio isn't working for you, I'd say it's better to try to use ALSA or OSS directly, so you can have relatively low-latency audio.

Re: Crackling music in LinuxXecuter02/14/2009 - 12:55

I have the same problem, but changing buffer size does not fix it. I don't either use Pulse.
However I use dmix in alsa, could that be a reason?

Setting the config file to use dsp, solves it for me.

Re: Crackling music in LinuxPizuz02/15/2009 - 07:30

I tried fiddling around with the sound buffer, as well, which didnt help. Oh, and I believe that Fedora 10 should already be using one of the most recent versions of Pulseaudio with that glitch-free extension enabled (therefore latency shouldnt be an issue). Anyway, the ALSA driver does work and I am perfectly happy. ESD and OSS (not the DMA one) get perfect results, as well.