No online play in demo?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
No online play in demo?scotte02/14/2009 - 16:46

I just downloaded the demo today - WinXP. The single player works fine, but trying to "goo corporation" online mode won't connect. Clicking the "connect" button immediately returns with something like "can't connect is internet working?". Yeah, internet is fine, no proxy, nothing special - every other online game/service/program works perfectly.

So either the demo doesn't support this mode (and doesn't really say so), or there really is a problem with online play - and the large number of topics on the subject here shows that there really is something wrong!

Thanks.

Re: No online play in demo?scotte02/14/2009 - 20:12

OK, so it works fine from this same machine booted into Linux. The Linux demo is version 1.40, the Windows demo is 1.00. Maybe that's the problem? I tried installing the 1.30 patch, but I once I found the online mode wasn't really what I thought (I thought it was more a collaborative game than just see-who-can-build-the-biggest-tower), it doesn't much matter...

Re: No online play in demo?scotte02/14/2009 - 20:38

OK you have my $20, I imagine the full version will be OK. Even without the online tower thingy this game is worth $20. Thanks for keeping it affordable!

Re: No online play in demo?scotte02/15/2009 - 11:55

FWIW, the full version works fine. The WinXP demo is clearly broken, I'm surprised the WinXP demo download hasn't been updated to 1.30!