No Mac installer on US Best Buy Retail CD

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
No Mac installer on US Best Buy Retail CDshirokuro02/15/2009 - 22:21

Hi,

I just purchased a retail copy of World of Goo at Best Buy in the US, the box of which was CLEARLY labelled Windows AND Macintosh.  However, there is ONLY a Windows installer (setup.exe) on the CD.

I have done a search of these forums, and it seems that the German retail edition has the same issue, and I saw another post where another Best Buy purchaser has the same issue as myself.  I understand that I can run the PC version under bootcamp, or a WINE solution such as Crossover, but this is unacceptable.

The box says Macintosh, therefore the Mac installer should be on the CD, or AT THE VERY LEAST a download link or code should be provided to get an unlocked version of the Mac installer.

Perhaps it's just a production error or something, but even so that is pretty shoddy to be honest - how could something like this get past basic verification?

I would like either a replacement CD containing BOTH platform installer versions, or else a download link to an UNLOCKED Mac installer, or else a refund.  I have sent a support request to brightermindsmedia, the distributpr listed on the US retail package, and will see what response, if any, I get.  No response, and I will attempt to take the retail package back to Best Buy for a refund.  I cannot do this for another week because I am traveling for work (and was hoping to have World of Goo on my Mac for my trip....).

Very disappointed that something as SIMPLE as this can be allowed to happen.

Re: No Mac installer on US Best Buy Retail CDkyle02/15/2009 - 23:30

Hi Shirokuro (and anyone else with this problem), no worries, we'll take care of you. Both our US and European publishers made this production error on a small batch of copies, and they both tell us they will replace the game for free - you just have to contact them.

In the meantime, you can contact us, and we can provide a downloadable copy.
http://2dboy.com/contact.php

Kyle

Re: No Mac installer on US Best Buy Retail CDshirokuro02/16/2009 - 17:26

Hi Kyle,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.  It's too bad that this error was made by your publishers, however I'm very happy and impressed with your quick support.  I have contacted the US distributor/publisher Brighter Minds media, although they haven't yet gotten back to me.

i will contact you at the URL you provided to hopefully get a downloadable copy.

Thank you again for your support, and for making such a wonderful, innovative, and charming game!