PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu Linux

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu Linuxearthpigg02/16/2009 - 10:36

This warrants it's own thread because forcing architecture is a funky and weird way of doing it. If you want to skip all these steps for the demo, PM me your email and i will e-mail you a proper 64 bit .deb of the World of Goo demo. i will not be sending anyone a deb of the game itself unless it is an e-mail address ending in @2dboy.com (hey 2dboy: you guys should probably offer 64 bit downloads anyways... i have no idea why your linux dude didn't do it, but i did the work for you if you want to post it on your official website.).

Ubuntuforums.org thread where i figured this out and posted it is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1070885. i suck at linux but was able to modify directions for something else to work with the world of goo demo (which was fun enough that i purchased the game like an hour later :) ).

quote from that thread:

Quote:

I am reposting this with more visibility. You can easily repackage any i386 deb outside the repos into an amd64 one. The reason you want amd64 packages instead of forcing the i386, is that while the former will show up as an installed package on synaptic, the later won't, so good luck uninstalling it. For example here's the directions to convert the stock i386 package for the World of Goo demo into an amd64 package:

1. Download the deb version of the World of Goo demo here.
2. Use the Archive manager to uncompress it. Alternatively, right click on the deb package and select "extract here"
3. Rename the uncompressed folder to "goo64" or whatever you want.
4. Open the folder
5. There are 3 files. remove the "debian-binary" file
6. Decompress "control.tar.gz". There are tree files in it.
7. Make a folder "DEBIAN" in the main folder, and placed the 3 files you just decompressed inside it.
8. Open one of the files inside DEBIAN, "control". Change the line "Architecture: i386" into "Architecture: amd64" (this is the key step of this process)
9. Open the other archive "data.tar.gz". There is a folder "." inside. Open it (double click). Select both the folders (usr and opt) and select uncompress.
10. Remove the files "control.tar.gz" and "data.tar.gz"
11. You should now have your main folder with the following inside:
DEBIAN folder with tree text files in it (control, postinst, and postrm); a "usr" folder and an "opt" folder.
12. You are now ready to prepare your amd64 deb folder.
13. From the command line, go to the folder that contains your main goo64 folder you just prepared (again, you can name the folder whatever you want. i chose goo64).
14. type: dpkg --build goo64
15. Your deb package is ready. Double click on it and follow instruction. After installation it should appear in Synaptic, and from there you can remove it at any time.
16. Enjoy!!!

Last modified Mon, 02/16/2009 - 10:41 by earthpigg
Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu Linuxearthpigg02/16/2009 - 10:47

Here is the rapidshare of the demo:

http://rapidshare.com/files/198809801/goodemo_64.deb.html

someone want to get a torrent going of the demo or post it somewhere that allows more than 10 downloads?

2dboy: seriously, send me a PM or e-mail and ill email you a deb of both the 64 bit demo and full game so you guys can post that up for people trying the demo and paying customers. i <3 you for releasing a linux version, and im sure lots of people would <3 you even more if you had a 64 bit deb of the full game so people wouldn't have to deal with the hassle :)

Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu LinuxJayferd02/16/2009 - 14:51

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, earthpigg!  Woiks loik a chom.  I hope the game's devs pick up on this soon.

Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu LinuxEzekiel00002/16/2009 - 15:41

You forgot to add the ia32-libs dependency and the internal name can't have capitals in it (other wise if you add it to a local repository it appears twice when installed once with capitals and once all lower case).

But when I corrected it and repacked it the menu link wasn't created, I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Edit: I figured it out, here is the link for the corrected demo:
http://rapidshare.de/files/45361070/worldofgoodemo_1.40_amd64.deb.html

Last modified Mon, 02/16/2009 - 16:00 by Ezekiel000
Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu LinuxSoultaker02/16/2009 - 16:03

Attached is a shell script to convert the 32-bit Debian packages to 64-bit packages, if you prefer those. Unpack, mark executable, and run on the command line with the path to the 32-bit package as an argument.

#!/bin/sh -e<br /><br />DEB_IN=$1<br />DEB_OUT=$2<br /><br />[ -n "${DEB_OUT}" ] || DEB_OUT=`echo "$1" | sed 's/i386/amd64/'`<br /><br />if [ -z "${DEB_IN}" ] || [ "${DEB_IN}" = "${DEB_OUT}" ]<br />then<br /> echo "Usage: deb-from-i386-to-amd64.sh <input.deb> [<output.deb>]"<br /> exit 1<br />fi<br /><br />TMP_DIR=`mktemp -d`<br />dpkg-deb -x "${DEB_IN}" "${TMP_DIR}"<br />dpkg-deb -e "${DEB_IN}" "${TMP_DIR}/DEBIAN"<br />sed -i 's/i386/amd64/' "${TMP_DIR}"/DEBIAN/control<br />sed -i 's/Depends: /Depends: ia32-libs, /' "${TMP_DIR}"/DEBIAN/control<br />dpkg-deb -b "${TMP_DIR}" "${DEB_OUT}"<br />rm -r "${TMP_DIR}"<br />

Last modified Mon, 02/16/2009 - 16:04 by Soultaker
Attachment: deb-from-i386-to-amd64.zip (469 bytes, 290 downloads)
Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu Linuxearthpigg02/16/2009 - 16:20

soultaker is smarter than me :'(

Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu Linuxcreamywhitegoo02/16/2009 - 18:44

[quote author=earthpigg link=topic=1464.msg9822#msg9822 date=1234819230]
soultaker is smarter than me :'(

Dude's a friggin genius! He managed to port World of Goo to Linux without breakin a sweat. Not to mention packaging it into all kinds of formats.

Problems with PulseAudiodentaku02/22/2009 - 18:00

Well, that might address the problem of the missing item in the packager, but I have the problem with my 64 Bit Ubuntu 8.10 that I have to kill the process "pulseaudio" to make the game running (otherwise, the game crashes with a simple "Abort" in the shell).

Re: PROPERLY install World of Goo on 64bit Debian/Ubuntu LinuxArand03/31/2009 - 21:49

Thank you Soultaker! It's a kind of automagic!

- Arand