Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...earthpigg02/16/2009 - 16:14

Compiz, o compiz... how sexy you make my desktop enviornment... and how buggy.

Starting WoG causes your GUI to crash and dump you back at login screen?
Weird mouse issues?
Random crashes in any graphics-intensive application at all ever under any cirumstances?

Compiz is probably to blame. Even if you aren't experiencing any of the above, compiz being on is probably hurting your framerates. Turn it off to play vidya games or google earth... turn it on to play with your desktop. imo.

pointy-clicky way to turn compiz off/on, but you may lose the custom look you gave your desktop cube and other settings:

system -> preferences -> appearance -> click 'visual effects' -> click 'none'

better way to do the same thing, but without losing compiz settings:

alt+f2 -> type "metacity --replace" -> compiz is now off, but settings are saved.
alt+f2 -> type "compiz --replace" -> compiz is now back on, settings restored.

(you can do that from the terminal if you want, but that means closing the terminal window will put metacity back in charge of things.)

Re: Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...dawning02/16/2009 - 22:04

I wrote a little script that I use (on Ubuntu), I'd suggest people use this or modify it accordingly:

<br />#!/bin/bash<br /><br />metacity --replace &<br />WorldOfGooDemo<br />compiz --replace &<br /><br />

To make a copy of that, just put that quoted code in to a text file somewhere. I named mine "WoG" then you need to set the file as executable. This can be done from the command line by running (assuming the filename is "WoG":

<br />chmod +x WoG<br />

Then you can run the game with that script and avoid noticing ugliness from using Compiz!

Re: Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...Soultaker02/17/2009 - 06:29

I think some Compiz problems related to full-screen applications could also be fixed by disabling Compiz's "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" feature, e.g.:
gconftool --type boolean --set \<br />  /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/unredirect_fullscreen_windows false
(After that, you'll have to restart Compiz, for example by logging out and back in again.)

Re: Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...creamywhitegoo02/17/2009 - 07:59

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1466.msg9861#msg9861 date=1234870151]
I think some Compiz problems related to full-screen applications could also be fixed by disabling Compiz's "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" feature, e.g.:
gconftool --type boolean --set \<br />  /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options/unredirect_fullscreen_windows false
(After that, you'll have to restart Compiz, for example by logging out and back in again.)

for the terminal averse, an easy graphical way to do this is to make sure Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm) is intalled and go to System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager. Then uncheck Unredirect fullscreen windows in General Options.

Some other fullscreen problems under Compiz can be fixed by unchecking Support legacy fullscreen in Workarounds.

Re: Ubuntu: Disabe/Re-enable compiz to Play WoG withOUT losing compiz settings...mflawlor02/17/2009 - 12:52

Another easy way to deal with compiz for the command line adverse is to install fusion-icon.  It might be in your distribution's repositories.  It lets you quickly change window managers and decorators and reload them if things go bad.