segfault on startup

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
segfault on startupnightrose02/17/2009 - 13:40

Hi :)

I installed the WorldOfGoo demo today on my Kubuntu system using the .deb from the website. I am on Intrepid and using KDE 4.2. When I try to start the demo it segfaults.

This is what I get when starting it from a shell:
lydia@hel ~> WorldOfGooDemo
fish: Job 1, “WorldOfGooDemo ” terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

This is what the log says:
[t=0.00] InhibitGnomeScreensaver constructor: couldn't execute "gnome-screensaver-command"!
[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/lydia/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
[t=0.00] Locale en_US.UTF-8 matched to language en.
[t=0.00] Primary language: en
[t=0.00] InhibitGnomeScreensaver destructor: killing child process 9162...

Following advice in this forum I turned off desktop effects but that didn't help.
It works fine on my laptop (also running Kubuntu Intrepid with KDE 4.2 and desktop effects enabled). It rocks btw! Awesome work.

Any advice? Thx.

Re: segfault on startupSoultaker02/18/2009 - 15:28

Looks like the game isn't able to change the video mode, but when that happens the game usually aborts instead of causing a segfault. That's very unusual. Could you try editing /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt and setting "fullscreen" to "false"? Does the game then run (but in windowed mode)?

If so, could you give me some details about your configuration, such as your X server version, graphics card, and which graphics drivers are installed?

Re: segfault on startupshredder02/18/2009 - 15:40

Hi,

can you start other 3D games in a 32bit version?

I got a Segfault in libGL.so after installing ia32-libs on Debian 64Bit. After reinstalling the Graphics-Driver (nvidia here) it worked. Perhaps a file from the driver got overwritten while installing the 32bit libs or the drivers installed the 32bit files only when the libs were installed?

Re: segfault on startupnightrose02/18/2009 - 16:20

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1476.msg9949#msg9949 date=1234988931]
Looks like the game isn't able to change the video mode, but when that happens the game usually aborts instead of causing a segfault. That's very unusual. Could you try editing /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt and setting "fullscreen" to "false"? Does the game then run (but in windowed mode)?

If so, could you give me some details about your configuration, such as your X server version, graphics card, and which graphics drivers are installed?

No setting it to false didn't change anything unfortunately.

Re: segfault on startupSoultaker02/19/2009 - 08:02

Ok, since I have no other ideas, some more low-level debugging may be necessary. Could you open up a console and enter:
bash<br />ulimit -c unlimited<br />WorldOfGooDemo
Now, the game probably crashes with a message like "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" and there should be a file called "core" or "core.1234" or something in the game installation directory (/opt/WorldOfGooDemo). Could you compress this file (e.g. with bzip2) and post it online somewhere or send it to me? (If it's very large or you have nowhere to upload it, send me an e-mail and I'll give you access to an FTP server where you can upload it).

Re: segfault on startupSoultaker02/19/2009 - 10:07

Actually, this looks exactly like this guy's problem.
Have you activated an OpenGL-capable video driver? You should be able to check that by going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Re: segfault on startupnightrose02/19/2009 - 10:43

Ok looks like my X is screwed. My current driver doesn't do openGL and if I activate one that does X doesn't start up. I'll ask a friend of mine who knows more about X to have a look. Thanks for your help.
If you still need me to run the commands above and send you the file let me know.

Re: segfault on startupSoultaker02/19/2009 - 12:12

[quote author=nightrose link=topic=1476.msg9997#msg9997 date=1235058208]
If you still need me to run the commands above and send you the file let me know.
Thanks, but if installing working video drivers resolves this problem, then I don't think that will be necessary.
(If you manage to get OpenGL to work and the game still doesn't run, though, let me know.)