running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)djotaku02/19/2009 - 07:25

Hello,

On Linux (Fedora 10) I downloaded the .rpm and installed it.  The game appears to run fine, but it's in the middle of my two screens.  So it's unplayable as there's a sliver in the middle that I can't see.  How can I make the game play full screen on just one of my screens?

Thanks!

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)Soultaker02/19/2009 - 07:30

Do you have any single-monitor resolutions defined? I assume you are using Xinerama. Do you use NVIDIA's TwinView by any chance?

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)djotaku02/19/2009 - 08:31

I am not at my home computer right now, but I am using the proprietary nVidia drivers from RPMFusion (or w/e that group livna joined is called).  So it's possible I'm using Twinview.  Does it help if I say that at GDM I see nVidia across both screens and then the GDM greeter is stretched across both screens?

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)hephooey02/19/2009 - 12:51

I am using dual monitor with xrandr, I have to turn off one monitor before I start the game. I suppose libSDL should have xinerama support, but since world of goo wants to change the resolution, maybe it is not so easy to fix it wihout modify the code.

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)Soultaker02/19/2009 - 13:11

SDL supports Xinerama in some way, though I'm not sure what it uses the Xinerama info for (maybe just window placement?)

I've tested the game myself with a TwinView set-up with a metamode which displays on a single monitor, so like hephooey says, that would mean that one monitor is off and the game is on the other. I think that's the best-case scenario.

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)djotaku02/19/2009 - 13:42

hephooey:
you just physically turn it off?  Or you remove it from xorg temporarily?

Soultaker
Can you please post your metamode (or all of your xorg.conf)?  Or give me a hint on a google search?

Thanks both of you for the info. 

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)Soultaker02/19/2009 - 15:32

[quote author=djotaku link=topic=1493.msg10006#msg10006 date=1235068923]
Soultaker
Can you please post your metamode (or all of your xorg.conf)?  Or give me a hint on a google search?
There is a little bit about this in the linux-issues.txt file (distributed with the game). What it boils down to is that you should set a TwinView meta-mode that matches the game resolution. So for example if I have two monitors both with resolution 1024x768, and I have a meta-mode "1024x768,NULL", I can set the game resolution to 1024x768 and then the game will be displayed on one screen while the other screen is blank/turned off.

I used this (but don't just copy paste it; you probably want to customize this for your config):
Option "MetaModes" "DFP-0:1680x1050,CRT-0:1400x1050; DFP-0:1680x1050,CRT-0:NULL; DFP-0:NULL,CRT-0:1400x1050; DFP-0:960x600,CRT-0:NULL; DFP-0:1024x768,CRT-0:NULL; DFP-0:800x600,CRT-0:NULL"
The key part is that I have an 800x600,NULL mode in there, which means the game will run on a single monitor in the default 800x600 mode.

By the way, before someone remarks that the game should use Xinerama info to run full-screen on one monitor and leave the desktop environment accessible on the other: I agree that this would be optimal, but that's currently just not supported (and would probably require considerable changes to SDL to get it to work).

Last modified Thu, 02/19/2009 - 15:40 by Soultaker
Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)hephooey02/19/2009 - 17:05

[quote author=djotaku link=topic=1493.msg10006#msg10006 date=1235068923]
hephooey:
you just physically turn it off?  Or you remove it from xorg temporarily?

I use xrandr for dual monitors, so I do not have any special configuration in xorg.conf, just run "xrandr --output VGA --off" to turn off the external monitor. and "xrandr -output VGA --auto --right-of LVDS --output LVDS --auto" to turn it on (I use a laptop with intel 965 video chip, but I think similar command is ok for all the video cards support xrandr).

On another thought, I realized that since the game graps the mouse and keyboard completely, it is not so useful to have it fullscreen on just one screen: even if you can put some other program on the other screen, you have no way to interact with them.

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)djotaku02/20/2009 - 00:27

Metamodes worked perfectly for me.  I was able to test the demo and see that it runs perfectly on my system.  I'll be buying it tomorrow/this weekend.

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)Shiva02/20/2009 - 12:23

actually, the game should honor $SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD environment variable setting (if set at all) that specifies which head to use in fullscreen mode.

Shiva

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)innominate02/20/2009 - 18:14

export SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD="0"    (in a terminal) worked for me

Re: running world of Goo with dual monitor setup (linux)Soultaker02/20/2009 - 19:26

Cool, I didn't realize that variable existed. You can edit it into the config.txt too, if you like (so you won't have to start the game with a long command line every time).