[SOLVED] Impossible to launch WOG demo on Ubuntu Linux (segmentation error)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
[SOLVED] Impossible to launch WOG demo on Ubuntu Linux (segmentation error)YannUbuntu02/19/2009 - 08:16

Hi,
first of all, thank you for creating a game for Linux  :D
I just installed the demo (.deb file) from the website.
The install seems to be ok, as the Laucher appears in the menu.
But when I click on the launcher, nothing happens.
Idem when I try to execute /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo
directly.
Here is what i get with a terminal (i run a French system, so i translate the messages in parentheses):

Quote:
yyy@yyy-laptop:~$ /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo
Erreur de segmentation  (SEGMENTATION ERROR)
yyy@yyy-laptop:~$ sudo chmod 755 /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo
[sudo] password for yyy:
yyy@yyy-laptop:~$ /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo
Erreur de segmentation   (SEGMENTATION ERROR)
yyy@yyy-laptop:~$ bash /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo
Erreur de segmentation   (SEGMENTATION ERROR)
yyy@yyy-laptop:~$ bash /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo.sh
bash: /opt/WorldOfGooDemo/WorldOfGoo.sh: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type  (NO SUCH FILE OR FOLDER)

Here is my /.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log :
[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/yyy/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
[t=0.00] Locale fr_FR.UTF-8 matched to language fr.
[t=0.00] Primary language: fr
[t=0.00] InhibitGnomeScreensaver destructor: killing child process 15925...

I run a Ubuntu 8.10 with ATI graphic card.

I uninstalled the .deb so that i can do a fresh install again.
Any idea to solve the problem?   ::)

Last modified Thu, 02/19/2009 - 10:05 by YannUbuntu
Re: Impossible to launch WOG demo on Ubuntu Linux (segmentation error)Soultaker02/19/2009 - 08:28

Did you install OpenGL-capable video drivers? In Ubuntu, you can activate the right video drivers by going to System > Administration >
Hardware Drivers and then activating recent proprietary drivers (although these menus are probably translated in French on your system).

If this doesn't solve the problem, could you print the contents of the log file at $HOME/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log?

Re: Impossible to launch WOG demo on Ubuntu Linux (segmentation error)YannUbuntu02/19/2009 - 10:04

[solved] my ATI driver was disabled. I find it strange because I had activated it, and I don't know what could have desactivated it..  ???

Anyway, I just finished the Demo. I don't play often videogames, and I was positively surprised to find such a good game on Ubuntu Linux !  :)
I think I will buy it  :)

regards,
Yann