Exiting WoG kills X

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Exiting WoG kills Xausmusj02/20/2009 - 11:56

Hi-

I'm running KDE 4.2 (kwin), with "Desktop Effects" disabled, on an Intel integrated G33 graphics chipset. I can get into WoG OK (it runs pretty slow, but that's integrated graphics for you), but when I exit WoG, my X session dies, I hit a blank console terminal while kdm/X server restarts, then I get back to my kdm login screen.

Any ideas on what's going wrong? I'm using WoG 1.4 on a 64-bit system.

Thanks!

-James

Re: Exiting WoG kills Xhansrodtang03/02/2009 - 18:15

I can confirm this. Running 1.40 full version on Ubuntu 8.10 with nVIDIA driver 180.35
It wasn't like that to begin with so something must have changed somewhere.

Last modified Mon, 03/02/2009 - 18:16 by hansrodtang
Re: Exiting WoG kills Xdeadlycheese03/03/2009 - 20:36

A similar problem to this just began occurring on my system today.  I am running Fedora 10, x86_64, with nvidia 180.35 drivers.  The problem that I am now seeing is that my X session will 'freeze' when I quit WoG.  However, I can switch to a virtual console and kill the hung WorldOfGoo process, and then switch back to X and continue working.

Recent changes that may have caused this problem include:

- new Fedora kernal
- new SDL packages
- installation of nvidia 180.35 driver

All three of those things have occurred since the last time I played WoG on this system, and I didn't have this issue the last time I played.

I have noticed one thing - WorldOfGoo apparently inhibits the screensaver by issuing a 'gnome-screensaver-command -i -n World Of Goo'.  I have subsequently learned that, when WoG hangs at termination, if I switch to the virtual console and kill that corresponding gnome-screensaver-command, I can switch back to my X session and WorldOfGoo will then terminate normally.

So, for my problem, the gnome-screensaver-command seems to be related somehow.  I'm not sure yet how I can use this information to fix things, or if it helps you guys that are experiencing an X abort.

When this happens, you might look at your ~/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log file and see what the last line says.  Maybe that will be a clue to what WoG was trying to do when it killed X.

Re: Exiting WoG kills Xhansrodtang03/04/2009 - 05:49

Probably has to do with nVIDIA 180.35 since we both just updated.

Re: Exiting WoG kills XSoultaker03/04/2009 - 07:32

This almost certainly a driver and/or X configuration issue, as the game doesn't access the server process directly, so it shouldn't be able to crash anything. (There still may be something that the game does that triggers a bug in the driver or X server, though.)

[quote author=hansrodtang link=topic=1506.msg10449#msg10449 date=1236163758]
Probably has to do with nVIDIA 180.35 since we both just updated.

Maybe your and deadlycheese's problem is different than ausmusj's problem (who doesn't use the nvidia drivers). Or maybe the common factor is the X server, not the video drivers?

[quote author=deadlycheese link=topic=1506.msg10440#msg10440 date=1236130610]
I have noticed one thing - WorldOfGoo apparently inhibits the screensaver by issuing a 'gnome-screensaver-command -i -n World Of Goo'.  I have subsequently learned that, when WoG hangs at termination, if I switch to the virtual console and kill that corresponding gnome-screensaver-command, I can switch back to my X session and WorldOfGoo will then terminate normally.
That's very strange, as the inhibiting process itself doesn't even have an X server connection (if everything works as intended). However, the game waits for it to exit in the end, so maybe this command is blocking for some reason? Your problem description is also a bit different; ausmusj claims that exiting the game crashes the server, but in your case it seems that the game hangs on exit (but the X server itself works fine). Can you reproduce that problem in windowed mode?

Quote:
When this happens, you might look at your ~/.WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo.log file and see what the last line says.

That's a good suggestion. With X-related problems, it's also a good idea to look at/post your X server log (usually at /var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Re: Exiting WoG kills Xhansrodtang03/08/2009 - 02:21

I recently updated to nVIDIA 180.37, and so far, things seem to work.  :)