loading goo from disk

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
loading goo from diskkokino02/20/2009 - 16:39

I cannot load goo, except on Vista admin account. How do I load it on non-admin accounts.

Re: loading goo from diskspazturtle02/20/2009 - 19:26

You must remember that non-admin users are not meant to run 3rd party programes, that is the point of a non-admin user

Re: loading goo from disklunhil02/20/2009 - 21:23

WTF?  So you're saying only Microsoft software is allowed to run under a regular user account?

User accounts exist to run programs so that they can't do system wide changes or damage to the computer.  Running anything as an admin can be used to screw up a computer, thus the need for a safer user account. Applications should run fine as a normal user. If it doesn't, it's because the developer was lazy and doesn't know crap about proper security.

Re: loading goo from diskspazturtle02/21/2009 - 10:03

Most 3rd party programs do make system wide changes i.e. registry keys, save's and world of goo makes a save file at start up and windows stops it.
BTW don't blame the devs it is Microsoft who are lazy, just look at vista, even Microsoft has said it was crap.

To fix this problem just right click on the icon and select Run As Administrator
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc300361.aspx

Last modified Sat, 02/21/2009 - 11:03 by spazturtle
Re: loading goo from disklunhil02/21/2009 - 15:40

The beef I have is that a 3rd party app should never need to make system wide changes.  The only files they need access to is their own program files.  The only exception would be during installation for setting up registry keys and such.  After that, the program should happily run in it's restricted environment.  Many programs are written to run as non-admin.  Large programs like Firefox doesn't have that problem.  It's the devs, plain and simple.

Having to "Run as administrator" is a risk.  Doesn't matter if the app is Photoshop, Firefox, or Notepad.  "Run as administrator" is only an option if an admin needs to make a system wide change, or more frequently, to make an app work because it was poorly coded.

Re: loading goo from diskspazturtle02/21/2009 - 18:02

world of goo makes reg keys and saves at first run not at install yes this is a problem but vista is very buggy and dosent let programs make reg edits unlike xp this may seem better but it makes it easyer for hacker, i'll stop babling now

The main problem is that vista dosent let programs edit even there own program files, the only way to fix this is to get a proper os like xp, 7, linux, freeBSD

Re: loading goo from disklunhil02/22/2009 - 12:45

What's wrong with FreeBSD? :P

Re: loading goo from diskSoultaker02/22/2009 - 14:06

World of Goo doesn't run on it, obviously.  :P

Re: loading goo from disklunhil02/22/2009 - 22:19

Has anyone tried?  FreeBSD's Linux compatibility layer is supposed to work pretty well.

Re: loading goo from diskSoultaker02/23/2009 - 08:47

I gave it a quick try but I gave up because I wasn't able to install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers in such a way that hardware-accelerated OpenGL was available to the Linuxulator too. If that succeeds, and you enable kernel 2.6 compatibility  and use a recent userland (glibc >= 2.4) I don't see why the game shouldn't run.