Direct3D Device Error with v1.30

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Direct3D Device Error with v1.30SpaceAgeCaveMan03/02/2009 - 20:31

I boot up the game and it works fine with the base install from the CD version of the game.

However, when I install the v1.30 patch, I get an error message telling me there was a failure to create the Direct3D device.

I'm just curious as to what would keep me from playing the patched version as opposed to the unpatched.

Any suggestions/workarounds are appreciated. I'm experimenting with things to see if I can get it to work, but please feel free to post suggestions for me here.

Re: Vista?themacmeister03/02/2009 - 23:44

If you are using Vista, I would right-click the patcher, and Run as Administrator. This should patch things correctly. Vista UAC is enough to stop correct installation and patching of software. You could try right-clicking WoG and running as administrator - if that works, it is your permissions and UAC at fault!

Re: Direct3D Device Error with v1.30SpaceAgeCaveMan03/03/2009 - 00:46

I'm on Windows XP Media Center edition.

Forgot to mentoin that.  :-X

Re: Direct3D Device Error with v1.30Xoke03/07/2009 - 19:25

I could load the game but it errored when running a level.  To fix this:
Run the game
Press ALT + ENTER to switch to windowed mode
Load the level - no more direct 3d error :)