Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?wren4203/02/2009 - 22:46

I have a pen/tablet input device with absolute positioning (the top right corner of the tablet is always the top right corner of the screen, the center is always the center, etc.). It works great under Linux, but in WoG it behaves all wonky. It seems to behave like a relative-position mouse most of the time, but when I get near the edges of the tablet suddenly the pointer will shoot off to the far extremes of the screen  :(

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Re: Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?Soultaker03/03/2009 - 04:31

One thing you could try, is to use the ManyMouse library which has better support for absolute input devices, although configuring it may require some X server tweaking. If you're not comfortable with that, better not try it, but if you're interested there is some info about this in /opt/WorldOfGoo/linux-issues.txt.

Another thing you could try is setting the device to relative mode using xinput set-mode DeviceName RELATIVE where DeviceName is the name of your tablet device (see xinput list). I'm not sure what the effect would be, but it's worth a try.

Re: Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?wren4203/04/2009 - 01:52

Seems like it's worth a shot, but it'll be a while before I get a chance. From a bit of poking around, it looks I'll have to rework my xorg.conf as you describe here: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1560.0.html. It'll be a good bit more complicated, though, since I have the tablet device to set up, too. It was a great relief when I upgraded to a recent build of Ubuntu and my tablet just worked! Looks like I'll have to work out how to configure it manually again  :P

Last modified Wed, 03/04/2009 - 01:58 by wren42
Re: Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?wren4203/04/2009 - 01:56

Oh! And in response to your other point... you're right, I could probably set the tablet to relative mode, and it might behave a little better. That'd kinda defeat the purpose, though. I do have a regular old mouse, too, I just think it would be very nice to control the game with a tablet, especially considering my weak wrists.

Re: Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?Tina Russell10/26/2009 - 16:18

I had this problem as well. It won’t happen, though, if the game runs in a window, which you can do by changing a line in config.txt.

First, if you haven’t already, copy /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt to $HOME/.WorldOfGoo

(You can do this in a terminal with “cp /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt $HOME/.WorldOfGoo”)

Then, edit your newly copied config.txt and change:

<param name="fullscreen" value="true" />

to:

<param name="fullscreen" value="false" />

Hope that helps!

Re: Wacom Tablet Pointer In Linux?Soultaker10/26/2009 - 18:59

Tina's right; and you can also hit alt-enter during the game to switch between full-screen and windowed mode. ;)