Fullscreen is blank; windowed works fine

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finespiffturk03/08/2009 - 20:21

Hey,

I just got the full version of WoG installed, but I've got a bit of a problem.  When running in fullscreen, nothing is displayed.  It's just black.  There's still the loading sounds and the music, and the machine is still responsive (I can alt+tab and such) but there's no image.  If I alt+enter to get a window instead of fullscreen, all seems well.

I'm running 32-bit Vista, ATI HD 2900XT with the latest drivers (updating them was the first thing I tried).  I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see anyone else with the same issue.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

--
Will

Re: Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finefabian_sl03/09/2009 - 17:20

you know spiffturk, I'm also getting the same error you do!! Also, I tried running the game on a window instead of fullscreen (alt+enter), the game runs fine! The only difference is that I'm having it on the windows demo. I'm running windows xp, and when the screen goes black, my monitor displays the following error: "Out of range".

I think this error might have something to do with my monitor being widescreen... but that's only a guess, I don't know if yours is also a widescreen monitor.

Re: Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finespiffturk03/09/2009 - 17:37

Nope, not widescreen.  Typical 19".

Oddly, I played the demo a month or two ago, and it ran fine in fullscreen.

--
Will

Re: Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finespiffturk03/09/2009 - 17:46

OK, for anyone else who may have this issue, changing the monitor refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz seems to fix it.  Fabian's "out of range" led me to give this a shot.  My monitor did *not* complain about being out of range, for whatever that's worth.

But yeah, that seems to do it.  For those who don't know how to change the refresh rate:

XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311403
Vista: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-GB/help/52f7448b-d524-44e4-b43d-15b5a29685371033.mspx

Hopefully this helps someone.

--
Will

Re: Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finefabian_sl03/09/2009 - 17:47

oh, ok. Well, thanks to your post, I've found out that if I do the ALT+Enter thing twice (going into window mode and then again into fullscreen), the game runs fine again! :D

have tried that?

Re: Fullscreen is blank; windowed works finej.e.d.10/17/2009 - 08:56

I had the same problem, however double Alt+Enter didn't work out for me. Switching off extended desktop solved the issue, now it works like a charm on fullscreen.
(Windows 7 RC1, ATI 4850, Catalyst 9.9, 1280x1024, 75Hz)