Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startup

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startuphexarobi03/10/2009 - 17:51

I just purchased WoG this weekend off steam (couldnt pass up a 75% off sale). I've recently reformatted and installed WinXP, updated drivers, installed steam, downloaded WoG. My system is hooked up to an HDTV so the resolution is a little funky, 1360x768 60hz, which I set in the WoG config file. When I run WoG i get a black screen, and nothing else. I can't alt-tab or cntrl-alt-del and am forced to hard reboot the system. I've tried my other monitor port on my graphics card. I've tried alt-enter to switch to windowed mode but get no response.

Mobo: Abit Av8
Gfx card: nvidia geforce 7600

Re: Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startuphexarobi03/11/2009 - 11:44

forgot to mention I'm running 32-bit WinXP but on a 64-bit AMD processor.

Re: Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startupZig03/14/2009 - 22:34

I just downloaded WOG and cant get it to start.  I just get a Black Screen with my pointer in the middle.  When I move the pointer, the black screen goes away and goes back to what I was doing before. It is just gone no tab or anything.  I tried to exc several more times, but I dont know what I am doing.  Bummer, I paid $20 and got nothing.  Zig

Re: Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startupsystems03/18/2009 - 12:42

Same here. I can log in to Steam fine (and play everything else fine), but with WoG I get a black screen. I can't ALT-TAB back to Windows, I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL for task manager, I can't ALT-ENTER to leave fullscreen mode. All I can do is reset the PC.

Windows Vista SP1 64-bit
Radeon HD4850 (Catalyst 9.2 drivers)

EDIT - Sorted the problem.

My firewall (Comodo) was blocking the game but the firewall popup was trapped behind the black WoG screen so I could never see it to approve it. The firewall popup should always be on top of the screen but for this game only it goes behind it.

I allowed the the WoG executable to do what it likes through my firewall and it works fine now.

Last modified Wed, 03/18/2009 - 12:48 by systems
Re: Black screen with system crash on WoG(win) startupEmanation03/31/2009 - 05:14

this p[ost saved my sanity and my stress levels!!! Hoorah for 'systems'

[quote author=systems link=topic=1624.msg10817#msg10817 date=1237398125]
Same here. I can log in to Steam fine (and play everything else fine), but with WoG I get a black screen. I can't ALT-TAB back to Windows, I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL for task manager, I can't ALT-ENTER to leave fullscreen mode. All I can do is reset the PC.

Windows Vista SP1 64-bit
Radeon HD4850 (Catalyst 9.2 drivers)

EDIT - Sorted the problem.

My firewall (Comodo) was blocking the game but the firewall popup was trapped behind the black WoG screen so I could never see it to approve it. The firewall popup should always be on top of the screen but for this game only it goes behind it.

I allowed the the WoG executable to do what it likes through my firewall and it works fine now.