Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's cropped

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwayneh03/28/2009 - 15:44

Hi -
I've got a Dell 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200.

When I start the game, the menu appears to fill the screen, and I can see my cursor.
However, when I start to play, the game fills only the middle third of my screen (up down) and the full width. When I move my cursor to the edges, it pans.

I hit alt-enter and the windowed version is exactly the same within the window.

What gives?
Why doesn't this game have even the most basic controls/options?
Why can't I fill the screen side-to-side and top-to-bottom ?

Signed,
Frustrated at the onset.

P.S. Award winner? Really?

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwayneh04/02/2009 - 15:35

OK, I'm getting pretty mad now.

I bought this game and can't play it 'cause most of it won't show on my screen
or in a window.

I've tried changing the config.txt file but all that does is change the windowed size - the game itself is still just a narrow band across the width of the window/screen. I have to pan around to see the rest.

I tried applying the 1.3 patch and nothing has changed.

This Sucks.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/02/2009 - 15:59

Are you using GooTool?
There are some settings like that in there.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwayneh04/02/2009 - 16:10

What is GooTool?

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/02/2009 - 16:43

Wha- :o
davidc! davidc!
HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT GOOTOOL IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/02/2009 - 16:45

Sorry about that.
I know you have the right version and the patch, but if you download a different pers2.dat from the internet you might fix it.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/02/2009 - 16:46

Yes, award-winner.
Best. Game. Ever!
I mean, I'm working with Mike the Mushroom on making a game, but there's no way it'll top WoG.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwayneh04/02/2009 - 17:02

OK, a new pers2.dat did nothing.

I looked up GooTool, and noticed that one of the screenshots looks just like my screen: http://goofans.com/gootool/about last image on the page.

So, maybe it's me - is this the normal screen?
I'm expecting the entire screen/window to be filled like every other game on this planet.

GooTool didn't help - changing the screen res in the Tool only changes the sam config file I can edit by hand. Plus, the 'new' version wouldn't run.

Still sucking....

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/02/2009 - 17:04

Personal Message kyle.
Or ron.
Either one of the (awesome) creators should help.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedPavke04/03/2009 - 03:41

it is supposed to be like that. I don't see why is this bothering you?  :-\  If you got working  <back button like in the picture you posted, then everything is ok with the game. I think that developers made it like this to give a feeling you are watching a movie and not playing a game.  :)

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwayneh04/03/2009 - 09:13

Wait a minute.

Are you saying that the normal play mode of this game is that it only uses the middle third of the screen/window, and that in order to see the entire playfield, I have to scroll around within that 1/3 ??

It's normal to open a window, and only use the middle third, while the rest of the window remains blank?

That even at 800x600 res (standard in the config file) it would only use the middle third?

I don't mean to offend, but that seems incredibly stupid.

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedTheHermit04/03/2009 - 09:26

Nope. When WoG is run in 800x600 it will fill the screen correctly. If you use an aspect ration of 1.33333/1 then it will display correctly. Unfortunately running the game at your monitors native resolution full screen, which is an aspect ration of 1.6/1, you will be black bands at the top and bottom.

Either run it at 800x600 or put up with the bands. Sorry! :(

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedStickybomb6704/03/2009 - 15:03

:-X

Re: Full screen doesn't work, even windowed it's croppedwiseguy8404/07/2009 - 00:55

I just purchased the game, and tweaked the config file to run it at my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080). It looks great and I see everything in the following ways:

- when starting up game, the loader and logo splash are full screen.
- the main menu comes up with black bars at top and bottom, which are curved slightly.
- after clicking on a chapter, I see the chapter's menu/map thing, with black bars at top and bottom.
- after clicking a level to play, the level appears with black bars at top and bottom, which animate (slide/fade) off the screen after a few seconds, leaving a fullscreen view of the game play area.

Hope that helps!