WoG performance/future

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
WoG performance/futureJasonosaJ03/31/2009 - 18:42

Like many people I'm able to run World of goo in fedora 10 64 bit, however My performance isn't the greatest, especially when there are many goo balls.  I'm using an intel 4500mhd integrated graphics card.

I am running the demo.  I really want to buy this game, however I don't know if I will be able to fix the performance issues on my system.  I've tried the fedora 10 instructions on this site already, with now luck.  Those were with the nvidia drivers, while I have intel.

I was also wondering if there are future plans to release a 64 bit version of this game.  If so, that would be great.

Re: WoG performance/futureSoultaker04/02/2009 - 03:47

To get decent performance on 64-bit systems, it's critical that you install 32-bit versions of your graphics drivers, otherwise software rendering will be used, which works but isn't fast enough for smooth gameplay.

Your problem reminds me of this thread. Is there any chance you could run a 32-bit version of glxinfo and see if direct rendering is being used?

The guy in that thread is using an Intel card as well, although he used Debian.

Quote:
I was also wondering if there are future plans to release a 64 bit version of this game.  If so, that would be great.

No 64-bit version is planned. I might attempt a 64-bit build if I am in an experimental mood and have time to spare, but you shouldn't count on it. The game should run fine on 64-bit systems with 32-bit libraries installed, though. A 64-bit build wouldn't improve the performance.