Black screen when starting (mac os x)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Black screen when starting (mac os x)rstrube04/05/2009 - 22:11

Hello everyone,

I am having a problem when starting World of Goo for OS X.  After launching the application I can hear sound, but the screen is blank.  If I quit the application (using command-Q), my desktop does not appear and the screen stays black.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

My machine specs are:

Mac Pro w/ 10.5.6 (all updates applied)
Nvidia 8800 GT

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Black screen when starting (mac os x)marq4604/06/2009 - 03:23

Lol

Mac fail

Haw did you Evan get steam on Mac or did you use that thing were you run a fake windows pc ow well

Sorry I cant help

All though I am rather shocked that a Mac pro with full apps will crash for world of goo a game that runs on my granddads pc and he got his prey first world war

I cued suggest a defrag or world of goo files may be corrupted …

… then there is that Macs suck ate games owww I went there only joking

Try the above if none of it wrecks then take that as proof that Macs cant game and bye a cp

Your sincerely marq46

In the immortal wards of the sine painter “don’t play with the fish

ps just testing the pic thing

Re: Black screen when starting (mac os x)rstrube04/06/2009 - 10:20

@marq46

Please don't post unless it is something constructive.  In addition to a Steam release, World of Goo was officially released for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.  If you had half a brain you would have realized this.

BTW, my MacPro runs Oblivion (via bootcamp) fully maxed at 60 FPS, so Macs are decent machines when it comes to gaming.

Re: Black screen when starting (mac os x)Soultaker04/06/2009 - 12:47

I'm not too familiar with the Mac version, but some things you could try:
- force the game to run in windowed mode (hit Alt-Enter, or some other shortcut key that is commonly used for this on OS X) and see if then game then shows up properly;
- if the above actually works, then you may be able to get the game to run in fullscreen mode too, by setting the game resolution to something else (for example, your native resolution); search for a file called config.txt in the properties/ subdirectory of the game installation directory (I don't know where that is on the Mac, sorry).

Re: Black screen when starting (mac os x)bizzle04/08/2009 - 20:18

I have the same issue.  The menu says you can toggle full screen mode using 'command + F', but that did not work for me.  I did find that if you click the menu bar immediately after launch it will default to windowed mode and you can play.

On a side note, I also tried assigning it to a space and switching spaces, but no go for that either.

Last modified Wed, 04/08/2009 - 20:31 by bizzle