One question to the "multi mice support" under linux

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxDetructor04/07/2009 - 02:24

Hi,

I've one question to the multi mice support under linux: Do I need a XServer that supports multiple mices (Xserver 1.6 if I remember correct) or does is should even work with an older XServer?

Re: One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxspazturtle04/07/2009 - 04:48

I think you need the latest version of XServer but I am not sure

Re: One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxSoultaker04/07/2009 - 05:17

It works especially with older X servers, as it bypasses the X server completely.

(Note that on many modern systems it doesn't work at all, when the HAL opens mouse input devices exclusively.)

Re: One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxDetructor04/07/2009 - 09:53

hmm, thanks for info...on my laptop (ubuntu 8.10) there is no mouse cursor ingame when having multiple mices enabled...but in the logfiles the game detects two mices

Re: One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxSoultaker04/07/2009 - 10:36

Yes, this is due to the new HAL/X-server opening all mice exclusively. I'm not sure how to work around this cleanly.

For future games, using the Multi-Pointer X directly is probably a better way to go.

Re: One question to the "multi mice support" under linuxDetructor04/07/2009 - 13:39

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1744.msg11486#msg11486 date=1239118588]
Yes, this is due to the new HAL/X-server opening all mice exclusively. I'm not sure how to work around this cleanly.

For future games, using the Multi-Pointer X directly is probably a better way to go.

hm, thanks for info, too bad.