Game Crashes at startup: Windows XP

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPUnneta04/17/2009 - 14:39

This just started to happen this morning and I have no idea what to do.

Any help?

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPMaGaO07/03/2009 - 07:58

If you are having the same problem I do, you have run World of Goo as administrative user and then tried to run it as a restricted user. After checking a bit, I found that the first run of WoG will create a config.txt file at the "properties" folder without the right access permissions (namely, read access for the "Users" group). This is a problem if you are using Windows XP Home Edition, since you can't access the Security tab automatically.

Try this as administrative user: go to the folder where you installed WoG (usually C:\Program Files\WorldOfGoo) and enter the "properties" folder. Double click on config.txt and choose File|Save as... to save it as "config2.txt". Rename config.txt to oldconfig.txt and then rename config2.txt to config.txt. This way you will still have the same data in the config.txt file but it will have the right permissions.

Hope this helps. I'll mail the developers to tell them about this little SNAFU.

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPjmleleven07/03/2009 - 08:48

if that doesn't work, then post crash.txt here. It is the error log for WoG.

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPIgnorance07/20/2009 - 20:38

[quote author=MaGaO link=topic=1775.msg13417#msg13417 date=1246625903]
After checking a bit, I found that the first run of WoG will create a config.txt file at the "properties" folder...

Thanks MaGaO!
That was exactly the problem I'm having and the fix worked.
What a pain. I've actually had to purchase WoG twice... I first bought it through steam, but it wouldn't work with multiple users accounts on winXP.
I also didn't want my son to see "half-life2" (through steam) on the way to playing WoG.

Thanks to your fix everyone can play!

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPMaGaO07/21/2009 - 02:14

[quote author=Ignorance link=topic=1775.msg13705#msg13705 date=1248140292]
[quote author=MaGaO link=topic=1775.msg13417#msg13417 date=1246625903]
After checking a bit, I found that the first run of WoG will create a config.txt file at the "properties" folder...

Thanks MaGaO!
That was exactly the problem I'm having and the fix worked.
What a pain. I've actually had to purchase WoG twice... I first bought it through steam, but it wouldn't work with multiple users accounts on winXP.
I also didn't want my son to see "half-life2" (through steam) on the way to playing WoG.

Thanks to your fix everyone can play!

Beware. This fix only solves the restricted user account access. You may (I still do) get other crashes due to other causes. Of course, these crashes just mean you have to restart WoG so it may not be too much of a bother (it is not to me, happens just once in a while and this is not a FPS :)

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPRoseEversole03/10/2010 - 12:49

World of goo keeps crashing on me too. It's getting really frustrating.It's a great game when it's working but I'm getting a little fed up now.
Lemonade Diet | Hydroxycut

Last modified Fri, 08/06/2010 - 15:23 by RoseEversole
Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPGMMan03/10/2010 - 14:34

[quote author=RoseEversole link=topic=1775.msg16964#msg16964 date=1268243347]
World of goo keeps crashing on me too. It's getting really frustrating.It's a great game when it's working but I'm getting a little fed up now.

How about you start a new thread and we could help you there? Provide some details (on the new thread, of course) such as your operating system, system configuration, and your crash.log file.

Re: Game Crashes at startup: Windows XPPulson22903/29/2010 - 21:14

Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Right now I'm busy with my project and then I'm planning to go to Canada . That's why these days I'm too busy with my documents and can not afford to search for these same things. Keep sharing…