I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?wjbite04/25/2009 - 16:29

My daughter bought GOO for me and my grandson.
Now that it is available for Linux is there some way for you to allow me to use it on my linux machine? I REALLY like linux better :)

Thanks,
Walt

Re: I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?Soultaker04/25/2009 - 16:51

Where did your daughter get the game?

Only the version sold by 2D Boy is officially supported across three platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

Re: I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?wjbite04/26/2009 - 18:57

Hummm...
My wife seems to think my daughter bought it through Amazon (it was a birthday present :) I will send her e-mail to find out for sure if you want me to.
The box looks official but it only says Mac and PC on it. Maybe I should try putting the CD into my Ubuntu Linux CD drive and see what happens, eh?
Okay, it reads the CD but there are only three files shown (no hidden files either):
AUTORUN.INF
Setup.exe and
/media/cdrom0/WINV9843.ICO

No cigar.

One of the box labels reads:
WORLD OF GOO MBX
BRIGHTER MINDS MEDIA
BRM61275

The only thing that looks a bit hoaky to me is that the bar code has had a smaller bar code label pasted over the middle of the bar code.

Is this thing possibly "boot leg"?

If that is so I will gladly pay you $20 for a linux copy - I really like it.

Thanks,
Walt

Re: I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?Stickybomb6704/26/2009 - 19:11

He might be talking about the download version.

Re: I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?Soultaker04/27/2009 - 09:05

The boxed release by Brighter Minds you have is definitely legitimate; it is sold by Amazon and a number of stores in the US and Europe, so don't worry about that.

Officially, the Linux version is only available to customers of 2D Boy, but unofficially, if you own a copy of the Windows version, you can upgrade the Linux demo of the game to a full version as follows:

1. Install the Windows version of the game somewhere (this could even be on Ubuntu using Wine); this usually goes into C:\Program Files\2D Boy\World of Goo.
2. Install the Linux demo of the game (which goes into /opt/WorldOfGooDemo).
3. Copy all the files in the res/ subdirectory of the Windows installation to the res/ subdirectory of the Linux installation, overwriting existing files.

Of course, installing the full Linux version with the official package is easier. Also consider that 2D Boy makes less money from sales through third-party resellers (Amazon, Steam, et cetera) and that they developed the Linux version at their own expense after the Windows and Mac versions were already released, so the moral high road would probably be to buy the game from 2D Boy if you like to play the Linux version, but I leave that decision up to you. (I can imagine you don't want to return a gift for this reason.)

Re: I own GOO on my Mac - will that licence work for my Linux machine?wjbite04/27/2009 - 10:05

Thanks for your effort - both in your replies and work on a great product.
I will be looking at every product you develop AND pushing them to my friends.
An organization with your attitudes and creativity deserve the BEST!

Thanks,
Walt Bankes