The game used to work, but now will not start.

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
The game used to work, but now will not start.theflozza05/24/2009 - 06:47

I have had this game for a while, and have completed it without any bugs or issues. I recently decided to play the game again, but now it will not launch.

I purchased the game through steam. The steam icon appears, then the 'world of goo is launching' dialog appears, but then nothing happens. No error messages or different screens etc, the desktop just stays as it is. When I start task manager, the worldofgoo.exe is shown as running. I have uninstalled the game, and manually gone through the whole computer and registry to delete all references to the game, then reinstalled the game but the problem persists.

I am guessing this is due to a driver or windows update, as like I have said before it used to run without any issues. Re-installing windows is a bit too much of a hassle for one game though!

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thank you.

Re: The game used to work, but now will not start.theflozza05/25/2009 - 04:18

Forgot to add my system specification:

MB: Asus Striker Extreme
CPU: E6600 Core 2 Duo
RAM: 2x 2 GB 800 MHz
GPU: 512 MB GeForce 9800 GT
Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX
Sony DVD RW multiformat
Floppy drive

I do overclock my components, but have tried running the game with everything on stock and it makes no difference. All other games/applications run fine, so I am convinced it is software as opposed to a fault in hardware causing the problem.

Re: The game used to work, but now will not start.theflozza05/27/2009 - 16:46

No one????!

Re: The game used to work, but now will not start.jmleleven05/31/2009 - 17:01

Hmm.... this is unusual.. I have no help.

Re: The game used to work, but now will not start.theflozza06/10/2009 - 12:40

Bump!!!????

Re: The game used to work, but now will not start.Soultaker06/10/2009 - 14:46

I know little about Windows and even less about Steam, but could you try:
- installing the standalone demo, available here: http://worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=demo

If that doesn't work either, could you:
- apply the patch, available here: http://worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch
to the demo version? (You probably have to select the game directory manually.)