How to install on a Mac?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
How to install on a Mac?puduhead05/25/2009 - 16:24

I just purchased World of Goo at the Apple Store, but I can't figure out how to install it.  When I insert the CD, I see two files on it "Autorun.inf" and "Setup.exe", neither of which are recognized by the Mac when I click on them.  The box is marked as Win/Mac but it doesn't seem to have any Mac files on the CD - and the instructions are only for installing on Windows.  I have a G4 iMac, OS 10.4.11, 1.24 GB RAM.  There are no system requirements listed anywhere on the box, in the instructions, or on the CD, so I have no idea if my computer meets them or not.  Or am I missing something obvious???

Re: How to install on a Mac?Soultaker05/25/2009 - 17:01

Apparently some retail distributors made the error of pressing cd's with just the Windows version on it; maybe you have one of those. There have been a couple of threads about this already, e.g.:
- No Mac installer on US Best Buy Retail CD
- Retail PC & Mac Version only got PC installer?
At least the German distributor (RTL Playtainment) sent out replacement cd's to people that complained to them. You're probably best off contacting the distributor about it, or ask 2D Boy for a downloadable copy instead if that fails.

Where did you get your copy? I now read that you got it at the Apple Store. It seems really strange that they would sell this disc without the Mac installer... you should probably contact them about this too!

Last modified Mon, 05/25/2009 - 17:07 by Soultaker
Re: How to install on a Mac?Darth Malt05/25/2009 - 17:48

I likewise bought a copy today at the AppleStore and yup, the disc only contains the Windows volume with autorun.inf and setup.exe. Looks like my daughter doesn't get to play World of Goo tonight after all. I sent a mail to AppleStore, but I would also like to see 2D Boy be proactive and reach out to Apple (and whomever is responsible for the pressing of these CD's), to

a) pull the defective game off the shelves, and get is restocked as a real Win/Mac Hybrid disc
b) offer a digital download of the game to Mac users who've bought the defective game

I look forward to getting to play the game with my kid!

Best regards,
DM

Re: How to install on a Mac?ron05/25/2009 - 17:58

very sorry about this, everyone.  our publisher sent the wrong boxes to the apple stores.  anyone who encounters this issue should send us an email from our contact page (http://2dboy.com/contact.php).  let us know that you've encountered this problem and we'll resolve this issue for you.

again, sorry for the mess,

ron

Re: How to install on a Mac?Darth Malt05/25/2009 - 20:22

I'd just like to let everyone know that 2D Boy jumped on this faster than I've ever seen a game publisher react to a customer problem and resolved my problem with the decidedly not hybrid mac/pc "hybrid" CD. Within minutes my daughter and I were wielding globs of goo to our shared delight!

Kudos, 2D Boy!

Re: How to install on a Mac?puduhead05/25/2009 - 20:27

Missing Mac files on the CD was in fact the problem.  An email to 2dboy.com was met with a quick reply making a download replacement immediately available.  Thanks everyone for the help, and thanks to Ron Carmel for quickly resolving the problem!