I need help for a ridiculous thing

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
I need help for a ridiculous thingBryan Tragle05/31/2009 - 16:38

Hi there,
This can seem stupid when compared to the other questions but I would like to know if it was possible to change a profile name. In fact, I first downloaded the World of Goo demo by suriosity, but now I've bought it and I'm addicted to it (thanks 2D Boy :D), but when I created my profile on the demo I didn't really care about its name, but now I do :P

So is it possible to change this profile name ?
(I thought maybe it was possible by modifying internal files, but I didn't want to lose all my data so I thought it was wiser to ask here)

Thank you for answering me !

Re: I need help for a ridiculous thingjmleleven05/31/2009 - 16:58

From what I know.....  you can't. And I know a lot of things. Someone will make a way eventually, though. Maybe in the next GooTool, perhaps?

Re: I need help for a ridiculous thingBryan Tragle05/31/2009 - 16:59

Okay, I'll be patient then.
Thank you for having answered so quickly !

Re: I need help for a ridiculous thingdavidc05/31/2009 - 18:25

Step 1: BACK UP YOUR pers2.dat file. Where is it? Look here: http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/profile-file-format

You can also use the "Backup" button on GooTool's "Profile" tab, but I recommend taking a safety backup by hand as well.

Step 2: DECRYPT your pers2.dat file (GooTool -> Advanced menu -> Decrypt -> .bin (Windows/Linux).

Step 3: Edit the decrypted file. Search for your name and edit it. Note down the number of letters that you add or remove. For example, changing "davidc" to "wibblewob" is +3 characters. Changing "davidc" to "god" is -3 characters.

Step 4: Immediately before your name you'll find a (possible big) number. For example, mine reads "...mrpp1,09,profile_017024,davidc,31,372011...". Add or subtract the number of characters you changed in step 3. For example, changing "davidc" to "god", I'd change 17024 to 17021 because I removed 3 characters.

Step 5: Encrypt the file using the Advanced menu again. Save it on top of your old pers2.dat.

Load World of Goo and your name should be changed. If it failed or if you have lost your profile, restore from backup.

Hope that helps. I don't intend to add this to GooTool, for the same reason that I don't intend to add fullscreen preference to GooTool: I don't want to add anything that can amend a user's profile file (pers2.dat).

-davidc

Re: I need help for a ridiculous thingBryan Tragle06/01/2009 - 03:04

Thank you very much !

I finally managed to make it work (by choosing "Decrypt .bin file (Mac)" instead of WIndows/Linux, since I'm on a Mac ^^

Last modified Mon, 06/01/2009 - 03:14 by Bryan Tragle
Re: I need help for a ridiculous thingdavidc06/01/2009 - 04:03

Glad to help :-)