Windows "Fatal error" & Steam "currently unavailable"

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Windows "Fatal error" & Steam "currently unavailable"Eldil06/04/2009 - 03:32

Hi, I am getting a Steam - error,

This game is currently unavailable.
Please try again at another time.

and from the game its self I am getting a Fatal Error!

An unexpected error has occured!

Exepetion: Access Violation (code 0xc0000005) at address 0047F9DF in thread 1290
Module: WorldOfGoo.exe
Logical Address: 0001:0007E9DF

0012FF88 0047F9DF 0001:0007E9DF WorldOfGoo.exe
Params: 7FFDF000 0012FFD4 7711E4B6 7FFDF000

StackWalk failed (error 299)

EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000 ECX:02081ED0 EDX:00D70E58 ESI:01E22F50 EDI:00D627F0
EIP:0047F9DF ESP:0012FE60  EBP:0012FF88
CS:001B SS:0023 DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
Flags:00010216

Windows Ver: NT 6.0 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

I have tried removing the game files from my User directory and the Steam and ProgramData directories.  Also uninstalling, deleting, re-downloading and reinstalling the whole game and I have looked on line for a few weeks now for a solution and I can find none.

The game did work fine at first, bar a few crashes, and I finished it on my user, but my kids haven't and I am still wanting to try for the worlds highest building, and OCD completions.

I have also done the following as advised by 2D Boy in a support email.

1. if you have anti-virus or anti-malware software, try disabling it.  threatfire and look'n'stop are both known to cause crashes like this (threatfire actually needs to be uninstalled in order for the game to run, disabling isn't enough)

2. some people have reported problems running the game under an account that doesn't have administrative privileges.  running it as an admin solves this (we'll address this issue in a future patch)

3. make sure your sound device is enabled, there's a bug that prevents the game from starting when there's no sound device.  in windows vista the sound device is automatically disabled if no speakers or earphones are connected.

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Windows "Fatal error" & Steam "currently unavailable"spazturtle06/07/2009 - 06:56

Have you tried turning it off and on again? (the computer)

No seriously that helps fix that error sometimes (the steam error)

Re: Windows "Fatal error" & Steam "currently unavailable"Eldil06/08/2009 - 02:12

I am throwing in some more help desk info from 2D Boy for the sake of anyone searching these forums for help.

It sounds like the account privileges may be the issue.  If you grant the account privileges to write to the appropriate folder (on vista it's %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo, on XP it's  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo) then things should work again.  If not, you might have to delete the saved game file pers2.dat in that directory and start over.

What doesn't help me may still help someone else I guess.

Re: Windows "Fatal error" & Steam "currently unavailable"Eldil06/08/2009 - 23:18

Ok.  I fixed it!

First I uninstalled the software with the Steam function "Delete Local Content" and I presume the "Uninstall" would do much the same.  Second I removed every directory, and its contents, connected with 2D Boy, and World of Goo. For a *Vista/Steam install this is on the Primary Windows installation Hard Disk Drive (probably C:\).
These are the files I know about and removed.

(1)   C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\2DBoy
(2)   C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\world of goo (or wherever you've installed Steam)
(3)   C:\ProgramData\2DBoy (this directory may not be visible and if this is the case a quick internet search should set you right on the way to make it visible.)

Finally I did a full search of the windows registry with **Regedit, using the searches 2D Boy, 2DBoy, World Of Goo, and WorldOfGoo.  I am not sure if regedit is case sensitive and I did not use any caps, from memory.  Also, I can't remember for sure, but I think only WorldOfGoo turned up any results.  Sorry all, but you will have to search for each of them if you're following the way I got World Of Goo fixed, as I simply can't remember accurately and don't have the time to check.

Good luck,

Eldil

* I have writen this only for a Vista/Steam install and you may have to adapt what I have written for your version of Windows/WOG
**a) Please do not use regedit if you do not know what you are doing, as improper use can ruin your Windows install.
**b) If you DO use regedit please back up (export) each entry before you delete it just in case you need to restore (import) it again.

Last modified Mon, 06/08/2009 - 23:30 by Eldil