Bizzare Installation problems

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Bizzare Installation problemsTassadarr06/16/2009 - 23:35

I've been trying to install the game on my computer for a couple of hours now, and have been running into several problems. The computer itself runs on vista, and is a build we did ourself, all drivers and so forth should be completely updated.

Firstly, the autorun function of the disk itself seems broken, dispite being enabled, and it wont start the installer by clicking the icon at the computer area, or by inserting the cd.

Manually starting the setup file or the autoplay seems to do little good, as that also stops responding and then disappears.
The "furthest" I seem to have gotten is an error message that after the autoplay box disappears, stating:
Cannot prepair main package.
Probably corrupted package, incorrect TMP/TEMP or there is
no execute permission for temporary folder.

My best guess is that something on the disk was scratched, or corrupted somehow, but that seems unlikely since I just bought the game!
The other guess I have is that something on my computer is disrupting things, and if anyone has an idea as to what that might be, or something else I can try I would love to hear a reply

Re: Bizzare Installation problemsjmleleven06/17/2009 - 07:09

Well, if there's a scratch on the cd, and it won't work because of it, many stores will let you take it back for a new one.

Re: Bizzare Installation problemstimobkg09/10/2009 - 21:00

My GF has the same problem on her computer:  Windows XP SP3.  I don't think it's a scratched disk as:
1) It installed fine on my computer, then went back into the case.
2) It failed to install on her computer.
3) It installed on her Mac immediately afterwords.

I'm all for the "something is disrupting things" idea, but I have no idea what that something could be.  Any advice would be very helpful.