Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Komesanos10/24/2009 - 09:00

Hi people,

I downloaded the demo of the game yesterday and everything was fine, but when I tried to run the game today it gave me this error just after clicking the desktop shortcut:

"Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."

I'm using Windows XP SP3 with Avast antivirus and Windows Firewall.
I tried stopping both the firewall and the antivirus but it keeps giving the same error.

Any ideas? I was planning on buying the game today but if it's not going to work... ^_^U

Thank you in advance!

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."GMMan10/24/2009 - 11:11

Try updating your DirectX. There's a DirectX Web Setup package on Microsoft's website. Download it, run it, and it'll update all your DirectX files.

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Komesanos10/24/2009 - 12:08

I already had the latest version but I tried to update anyway. I tried reinstalling the game but it didn't work either, I keep getting the same message.

The strange thing about this is that yesterday I played fine without any kind of problem.

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."GMMan10/24/2009 - 13:45

Did you do anything to your computer that might have caused it?
Also try updating your graphics driver. If you have never installed it, now is the time.

Even though DirectX is always at the same "latest version", they push out new dlls so that developers can take advantage of better DirectX routines. That's whey you also want to get those.

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Komesanos10/24/2009 - 15:17

I didn't do anything strange, just normal use without installing or messing with anything.

ATI does not have new drivers for my graphics card. I tried updating to a newer version but there were problems with the installer, I googled it and it looked like I had to remove the previous drivers before installing the newer, but the installer kept complaining and I just had to recover a previous state of my HD since I couldn't find other drivers that could fit...

I think that the graphic drivers are not the issue because, as I explained, I could play perfectly before and I did not touch anything that could mess the game up.

Thank you for your help, let's see if I can get this fixed ^_^U

P.D.: I already bought the game and it gives me the same error

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Komesanos10/24/2009 - 15:19

I have just installed it again and it works fine :o

It may be because I recovered a previous state of my computer, let's hope it keeps working this time!!

LET'S GOO!!

I'll post here again if I get the same error again...

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."EBbugattiveyron10102/02/2010 - 20:20

I have the same problem.  The game worked fine before but now i get the "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."  I just recently re-formated my computer.  Please HELP!  I want to get this game working again! ^.^

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Pavke02/03/2010 - 17:29

[quote author=EBbugattiveyron101 link=topic=2151.msg16330#msg16330 date=1265160039]
I have the same problem.  The game worked fine before but now i get the "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."  I just recently re-formated my computer.  Please HELP!  I want to get this game working again! ^.^

Install latest video drivers for your video card... it should work ;)

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."EBbugattiveyron10102/03/2010 - 20:16

I tried updating but it says from the device manager that it cannot find any update for my VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Video Card!  Please help! THis used to work very smoothly before!

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."Pavke02/04/2010 - 02:47

[quote author=EBbugattiveyron101 link=topic=2151.msg16355#msg16355 date=1265246196]
I tried updating but it says from the device manager that it cannot find any update for my VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Video Card!  Please help! THis used to work very smoothly before!

Oh... OK, here: Via/S3G UniChrome IGP Driver Update

Your graphic card is... really bad onboard graphic card, you will see this problem many times in the future, I suggest you get better graphics.

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."EBbugattiveyron10102/04/2010 - 18:09

I noticed I tried that update before, but it didn't work.  Any suggestions for a new graphics card?

Re: Error on startup: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices."EBbugattiveyron10102/04/2010 - 19:53

Nevermind, I got it to work but when I reboot my computer it doesn't work after that.  So I need to re-install it everytime before I want to play.  Time for a new Graphics Card!  Thanks for Your Help Pavke!

I Appreciate It Very Much

EBbugattiveyron101