Multiple monitors - mouse not captured

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedVelvetFistIronGlove10/07/2008 - 03:10

I run a dual-monitor setup, with screen "2" (as identified by control panel) having the task bar on it, and it's the one which World of Goo launches.

Unfortunately, while running the game, the mouse is not held within the WoG window, but can move freely out onto the other screen on the right.  This makes it quite hard to scroll in-game, as the mouse keeps moving out of the window.  Moreover, on one occasion (I think if I happened to be dragging a goo ball, so the mouse button was down) the mouse will move out but then refuse to move back in again.  So the mouse was stuck on the other screen until I clicked on the desktop, which deactivated WoG (and I was then unable to activate successfully, losing my progress on the level).

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedRebelGecko10/07/2008 - 08:58

Bump and seconded. Scrolling can be very hard with this setup.

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedceekay10/07/2008 - 10:59

This used to happen to me all the time when I used to run dual monitors (I particular remember GTA Vice City and Max Payne 2 giving me problems). Workaround was to go into the monitor settings and change the orientations so that monitor 2 was like off to the corner of monitor 1. That way the only time it jumps monitors is if you go off the very corner of monitor 1.

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedjonrico10/07/2008 - 13:46

One more bump for mouse capturing or scrolling with the keyboard please.

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedEcks10/08/2008 - 01:54

I'm also experiencing this same thing although my primary monitor is to the right of my secondary monitor, so I can move the mouse to the left.

Thanks much!

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedDiGi10/09/2008 - 13:56

Another +1

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedBlueAvatar10/11/2008 - 07:11

ditto.. I have worked around it using Mouse Jail and this makes it much easier for me...
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/MouseJail/

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedSvenstaro10/13/2008 - 23:17

+1

annoying as hell.

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedjuanillo11/16/2008 - 16:59

+1 Yes; quite annoying.

Quite sure is a windows-Direct 3D issue, but ¿isn't there a workaround that could be programmed into the game?

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedjuanillo11/16/2008 - 17:23

MouseJail works quite well... so, I suppose that its workaround could be easily implemented...

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedmalex12/17/2008 - 21:24

[quote author=juanillo link=topic=227.msg5932#msg5932 date=1226874222]
MouseJail works quite well... so, I suppose that its workaround could be easily implemented...

Has anyone been able to make it work with Windows Vista?

I edited the World of Goo Properties as shown on the website, but the OS responds with
"Problem with Shortcut"
"The name 'MouseJail.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo\WorldOfGood.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid."

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedMincus12/17/2008 - 22:55

Shouldn't it be WorldOfGoo.exe not WorldOfGood.exe ?

Plus you might need quotes (") around MouseJail.exe

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedmalex12/18/2008 - 23:02

"Good" was my own typo, but removing the quote marks actually made it work.

Your completely wrong advice worked perfectly! Thanks!

Re: Multiple monitors - mouse not capturedMincus12/19/2008 - 03:24

Bleh. Windows and where it likes quote marks seem to be inconsistent. Glad it worked though!