Question Regarding WoG Portable

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Question Regarding WoG PortableMethanalCHO12/20/2009 - 19:17

This may sound complicated...

Computer A is a desktop computer that is infected with a virus that does NOT effect WorldOfGoo.exe, that has the full version of WoG. Computer B is a healthy laptop computer, but it only has a demo. If I were to download World of Goo Portable and use it to copy my profile on Computer A to play on Computer B, then please answer these questions:

1. Would Computer B be affected by the virus?
2. Would it be possible to play the entire game, since the usage of WoG Portable to copy from a full version proves it was not illegally obtained?
3. If the answer to 2 is "no" (or the answer to 1 is "yes") , then is it possible to legally get the full version of WoG on the laptop without paying another $20.00 for the download?

Assume both Computers A & B are Windows, WoG Portable will be downloaded from www.goofans.com, and both WoG copies are from www.2dboy.com.

Please answer ASAP. This is very important to me and the safety of my computer!

Last modified Sun, 12/20/2009 - 19:19 by MethanalCHO
Re: Question Regarding WoG PortableGMMan12/20/2009 - 20:09

1. It depends on what virus it is and if it has infected any of the WoG files or profile. Most likely something else on your USB drive would get infected by the virus, therefore making it not safe for your laptop. If we're only talking about WoG Portable, and that neither any of the World of Goo files nor the profile have been infected, then yes, it would be safe for your laptop. Just to be cautious, however, it is recommended that you clean your desktop computer before connecting the USB drive to it.
2. World of Goo Portable copies the installation of World of Goo from whatever computer it is first run on. So if the computer only had the demo, then the demo would be copied, full version would be copied if the computer has the full version. WoG Portable runs World of Goo off the USB drive, so whatever version that was copied would be the version that would be run.
3. I'm not all that certain. From the EULA it looks like you're not allowed to install more copies than you've bought (so somewhat making WoG Portable illegal, but I don't think 2D Boy would mind, as long as you've paid them something). Of course, you can always use your secret download link to get another copy.

Re: Question Regarding WoG PortableMethanalCHO12/21/2009 - 19:09

[quote author=GMMan link=topic=2366.msg15719#msg15719 date=1261357740]
1. It depends on what virus it is and if it has infected any of the WoG files or profile. Most likely something else on your USB drive would get infected by the virus, therefore making it not safe for your laptop. If we're only talking about WoG Portable, and that neither any of the World of Goo files nor the profile have been infected, then yes, it would be safe for your laptop. Just to be cautious, however, it is recommended that you clean your desktop computer before connecting the USB drive to it.
2. World of Goo Portable copies the installation of World of Goo from whatever computer it is first run on. So if the computer only had the demo, then the demo would be copied, full version would be copied if the computer has the full version. WoG Portable runs World of Goo off the USB drive, so whatever version that was copied would be the version that would be run.
3. I'm not all that certain. From the EULA it looks like you're not allowed to install more copies than you've bought (so somewhat making WoG Portable illegal, but I don't think 2D Boy would mind, as long as you've paid them something). Of course, you can always use your secret download link to get another copy.

Okay, so...

1. The virus is a type of spyware. If I were to clear everything from my USB except WoG Portable, then could WoG Portable get infected?
2. So let me get this straight: if WoG Portable were to copy from Computer A to Computer B, ignoring all viruses and such, the game would play full version on Computer B, even though previously Computer B had only the demo?
3. What "secret download link"? WHERE IS IT?

Re: Question Regarding WoG PortableSoultaker12/22/2009 - 10:23

[quote author=MethanalCHO link=topic=2366.msg15737#msg15737 date=1261440588]
What "secret download link"? WHERE IS IT?
That would be your personal download link, that you received by e-mail if you bought the game from 2D Boy.

Re: Question Regarding WoG PortableGMMan12/22/2009 - 15:02

1. If the virus only spies on you, and doesn't infect any files, then yes it should be safe.
2. It wouldn't get copied to Compute B at all, because it is all run from the USB drive. WoG Portable is designed to do minimal changes to your host computer, so even after you played WoG from your USB drive, your host computer would still have its original WoG demo and the profile made with the demo.
3. It's that link from the email that you received when you bought WoG.