Running with monitor in portrait mode (1024x1280)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Running with monitor in portrait mode (1024x1280)jkshapiro01/01/2010 - 13:55

Hi folks,

I've rotated my monitor by 90 degrees and use it in portrait mode.  This is great for lots of applications, but it seems to confuse World of Goo.  I can see the middle part of the screen, but anything at the edges isn't available, including the button that I assume is on the main screen that lets you exit the program normally.  I've tried moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, which scrolls things around within the game, but to no effect.

I'm currently using Windows 7, and I had the same issue in Windows XP.

I sent an email to 2D boy but without response.

Any ideas?

Re: Running with monitor in portrait mode (1024x1280)GMMan01/02/2010 - 18:49

Did you edit your config.txt? That would be where you start first. I'm not sure if World of Goo supports portrait mode. However, I do know that people have trouble launching WoG with a 1280*1024 resolution, so that might carry on in the portrait mode.

Re: Running with monitor in portrait mode (1024x1280)Soultaker01/03/2010 - 09:58

If I recall correctly, the Windows version of World of Goo does not support resolutions of an aspect ratio below 4:3 (which is already a problem for people with a 5:4 aspect ratio). The Linux version just adds black borders at the bottom and top, which is far from ideal, but at least it allows you to play.

For Windows, I'd suggest running in windowed mode. If you are using Nvidia drivers, you should also be able to use their fixed-aspect-ratio scaling mode (then you can run the game in e.g. 800x600, and have the video driver add black borders to make it fit your screen).