Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no error

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorMerritt01/18/2010 - 12:23

If I run from menu, it tries and fails with no error.
If I run from console: /opt/WorldOfGoo/WorldOfGoo - it sits there trying forever with no error.

WorldOfGoo.log:
[t=0.00] InhibitGnomeScreensaver constructor: couldn't execute "gnome-screensaver-command"!
[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/kristen/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
[t=0.00] Locale en_US.UTF-8 matched to language en.
[t=0.00] Primary language: en

Game works 100% on my other system, openSUSE 11.2 64-bit.

Any suggestions?

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorSoultaker01/20/2010 - 16:49

Hi Merritt,

Sorry to hear the game doesn't run. I don't have a definite fix, but there are some things you could try:
- does applying this patch here fix it?
- alternatively, cleaning out the /opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32 directory might fix it, or it might cause more breakage due to missing libraries (in which case you should reinstall the package)
- in /opt/WorldOfGoo/properties/config.txt could you try setting the SDL_AUDIODRIVER environmental variable to "dummy"? If the game then runs without sound, the problem is somewhere with the sound system.

By the way, I assume you installed the game from the RPM package, right?

edit:
Actually, going by the log file, it seems the game gets stuck trying to create the graphics surface, which happens before initializing the sound system. Is OpenGL working properly on this system? Could you try running the game in windowed mode (by setting "fullscreen" to "false" in config.txt)?

Last modified Fri, 01/22/2010 - 10:15 by Soultaker
Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorMerritt01/21/2010 - 12:13

Hey there. Applying the patch had no effect. Setting game to fullscreen false had no effect. OpenGL is working (direct rendering for example, I disable KDE 4 effects to run the game.)

/opt/WorldOfGoo/lib32 does not exist, similarly, having looked over the games log file it mentions:
[t=0.00] Failed to read persistent data from "/home/kristen/.WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat"!
and "pers2.dat" does not exist - the .WorldOfGoo folder only contains LastRun.txt & WorldOfGoo.log , I checked to make sure and .WorldOfGoo has proper permissions..

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorGMMan01/21/2010 - 17:29

The profile never gets created because you have never created a profile.

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorSoultaker01/22/2010 - 10:20

Quote:
OpenGL is working (direct rendering for example, I disable KDE 4 effects to run the game.)

I'm not sure if KDE 4 effects are really the same thing. Have you tested with other OpenGL games? (For example, Tux Racer?)

Quote:
/opt/WorldOfGoo/lib32 does not exist

Sorry, I meant /opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32 (but I typed it wrong in my previous post).

Quote:
having looked over the games log file it mentions:

That's actually OK. Like GMMan said, this file is created when you start playing, but the game never gets that far. It's not a fatal error.

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorMerritt01/22/2010 - 12:46

Neverball runs 100%, and it requires OpenGL as well.

/opt/WorldOfGoo/libs32 does not exist either. See below.

kristen@tuxinator:/opt/WorldOfGoo> ls   
eula.txt  icons  linux-issues.txt  properties  res        WorldOfGoo.bin
icon.png  libs  linux-issues.txt~  readme.html  WorldOfGoo
kristen@tuxinator:/opt/WorldOfGoo>

Thanks for the efforts :) Hopefully we can figure out what's goin on.

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorGMMan01/22/2010 - 19:06

You must be running an older version of it. AFAIK, the latest WoG package comes with both 32- and 64-bit versions of the game executable. Dig out your World of Goo email, and download the latest version.

Re: Does not start on openSUSE 11.2 32-bit - no errorMerritt01/23/2010 - 11:58

Okay, uninstalled 1.40 and installed 1.41 . Now I have the directories you were mentioning. :)

I removed all the files from /libs32 & now the game runs!

Thanks alot for all of your helps, guys! I really appreciate it!