Won't start on Vista, though it use to

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Won't start on Vista, though it use tokssccai01/30/2010 - 01:24

World of Goo was just fine until I reached a couple levels in into the second Chapter.
Now I can't start WoG. When I click it to run it, the whole screen turns black and I can't do anything, click anything, etc. I always end up with no other options but to restart my computer.
I uninstalled WoG and reinstalled it to see if the problem was fixed, but it still occurs.
What's wrong?

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use toGMMan01/30/2010 - 11:48

Multiple things...

1. Corrupted profile, though most likely not enough to cause said effects
2. Incorrect screen resolution. However, because you reinstalled, the original resolution should still work
3. Run in Admin mode. Might help.

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use tokssccai01/30/2010 - 20:46

I tried running it on Admin, it didn't work either. I also tried disabling desktop composition, but that didn't work either.

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use toGMMan01/30/2010 - 21:53

Have you tried renaming your profile? Go look in C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo. Rename pers2.dat to something else.

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use tokssccai01/31/2010 - 01:40

Hmm I opened C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo but it says that that folder is empty. That might be the problem? How do I fix this.

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use toGMMan01/31/2010 - 21:44

What version of World of Goo do you have?

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use tokssccai01/31/2010 - 22:03

I don't know. Is there somewhere on it that I can look to find out, because I can't find it.

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use toGMMan02/01/2010 - 14:33

No, there isn't anywhere you can look. However, try downloading the patch. http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use tokssccai02/02/2010 - 23:23

I tried the patch. It didn't work  :'( .

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use tobenzhang504/11/2010 - 17:40

im having the same problem. opened the folder but couldnt find pers2.dat. where can i look?

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use towantan05/04/2010 - 13:28

[quote author=GMMan link=topic=2514.msg16315#msg16315 date=1265052783]
No, there isn't anywhere you can look. However, try downloading the patch. http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch

GMMan, What exactly is this patch?  Is it just a full version of 1.30?  Or is it a patch to apply TO an already installed 1.30

I am running 1.30 under 32-bit Vista.  It will run only as Administrator (which is not so good for the kids), and will not run as a normal user.  I love the game, but it sucks that it will only run as administrator!

Re: Won't start on Vista, though it use toSoultaker05/04/2010 - 18:38

It's a patch to version 1.30, so that doesn't help.

From what I gather by reading the forums (I don't usually run Windows myself) the problem is with file permissions. According to this guy making the config.txt file readable by normal users should solve the problem.

(By the way, this thread was created to discuss a different topic. In the future, please start a new thread if you have a problem, instead of hijacking an existing one. Thank you!)