Startup issues

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Startup issuesgencha05/04/2010 - 14:44

When I start World of Goo it seems to try to constantly switch between differing fullscreen modi. None of which lead to any success. So I get constant switching on all screens.
The only thing that breaks the game out of this pattern is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and force control back to the system.
Interestingly, after that I can activate the task and I get World of Goo in fullscreen.

I find the whole thing rather unacceptable though. It totally messes up my window layout and the resolution World of Goo runs in seems freakishly low (and I don't want my computer to explode).

Please advise.

Windows 7 x64, GTX 280 (197.45 driver)

Re: Startup issuesSoultaker05/04/2010 - 18:43

Have you tried configuring a different display resolution, either by editing the config.txt file in the game installation directory, or with GooTool?

Re: Startup issuesgencha05/04/2010 - 20:03

Yeah, I actually did that by now.
When choosing my desktop resolution in the config file, at least the constant resolution changes stop.
The game will start minimized and somehow my taskbar has been resized, but I can open the task and play the game.

I read on another thread that the game "does not support" dual monitor setups. This might apply to my issue and would be quite a disappointment.

Re: Startup issuesPavke05/05/2010 - 09:45

You are using dual monitor setup, right? Yes, WoG get glitchy when it come to deciding on witch monitor it should display.

If I remember correctly, to solve this run WoG directly on your main monitor.
(deactivating your second and the running WoG will certainly halp but this above might help also :)  )

Re: Startup issuesgencha05/05/2010 - 13:30

What do you mean by "running it directly on your main monitor"?

Re: Startup issuesnesnum05/14/2010 - 08:17

i have the same issue game bought from steam cant even play it1

Re: Startup issuesMolinski07/04/2010 - 15:32

I just wanted to chime in too. I have the same problem and it is more than annoying :(

I have dual 23" screens and the flip flopping from screen, minimizing and maximizing almost gave me a epileptic seizure. 

I am currently running Windows 7 32bit and ATI Radeon HD 4890.

I tried the GooTools and it seems too help but not as clean as I would like. Thanks for the hard work.

Re: Startup issuesPavke07/05/2010 - 11:42

Only two ways to fix this

First way is to disable your secondary monitor before starting the game, that is little bit annoying but it works

Second way is to open World of Goo config.txt file and edit games resolution to match your primary monitor res. ;)