Display/graphic problem on Ubuntu

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Display/graphic problem on UbuntuPk_JoA05/07/2010 - 23:51

Hi, I just bought the game with the Humble Indie Bundle, and I am having some problem with the graphics of the game: When I play for the first time, the game goes great. When I pass one level and go to the next one, the problems starts, as the goos are invisible, or some of the machinery is not showing up, as well as the signs.

If I restart the game the same happens: First level I play since I boot the game: Perfect, second: problems

I tried to play with compiz, without compiz, adjusting my resolution, reinstalling ATI drivers, trying the .deb and the .tar.gz... everything

Just one time I managed to solve this: The game was running great, till I entered World Of Goo corporation. And then the problems started again.

I am on Ubuntu 10.04, with FGLRX ATI drivers. I own an ATI 4850 Toxic!. I don't know what else to do. All the other games run great, even Penumbra, which has 3D graphics, even with compiz on. World of Goo version is 1.41 for Linux (NOT running it on Wine or something similar)

Thanks for the help you may give me!

PS: Sorry for the bad English.

Re: Display/graphic problem on UbuntuPk_JoA05/08/2010 - 11:37

Sorry for the double post, but I may have identified the problem:

It is when the game tries to connect to the Internet.

I know it sound unrelated, but under the SAME conditions, a game which hasn't been connected and one which was, the second one presents problems and the first one no.

Re: Display/graphic problem on UbuntuPavke05/08/2010 - 12:12

[quote author=Pk_JoA link=topic=2821.msg17264#msg17264 date=1273336648]
Sorry for the double post, but I may have identified the problem:

It is when the game tries to connect to the Internet.

I know it sound unrelated, but under the SAME conditions, a game which hasn't been connected and one which was, the second one presents problems and the first one no.

Sorry for not answering you sooner. I've been here on the forums for a long time but I've never saw internet connection making problem with graphics. it's weird!  ??? 
Good thing you solved that problem!

I do remember that someone had a similar problem with images not loading, and it was because of his pore graphics card or something...

Maybe you should search the forums, maybe you can find something that can help you... :)
If I do see that topic I'll let you know...

Re: Display/graphic problem on Ubuntuseany05/11/2010 - 03:19

Hello,

I'm running on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with the full game of WoG 1.41.
I think I have the same problem (slow display). I'd like to know how you solved the internet connection problem in case it's the cause of my display problem too.

Any help is welcome.

PS : when I tried the demo on Ubuntu 9.10, it worked perfectly, including the internet connection.

Thank you

Re: Display/graphic problem on Ubuntuseany05/11/2010 - 03:29

I just noticed that the server is down at the moment. I'll wait until it's up again to see whether it's the cause to the slow display.
It's a pity it would be that, maybe there's a way to just stop the game trying to connect ?