mute?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
mute?Spindaden10/11/2008 - 12:41

Don't get me wrong, i love the music, but I was wondering if there was any hidden way to turn off the sound?

Re: mute?Macatttack10/11/2008 - 14:18

[quote author=Spindaden link=topic=300.msg2393#msg2393 date=1223746901]
Don't get me wrong, i love the music, but I was wondering if there was any hidden way to turn off the sound?
So your saying your so dumb you don't know how to turn of your comps volume?  ???
*HINT*The little mega mike pic in the bottom right corner of your comp's screen*HINT*

Re: mute?Vark10/11/2008 - 14:52

[quote author=Macatttack link=topic=300.msg2401#msg2401 date=1223752703]
So your saying your so dumb you don't know how to turn of your comps volume?  ???

Calling someone 'so dumb' and being abusive is certainly a good way of answering a question on a forum.  ::)

I don't have a 'little mega mike pic (whatever the heck that is) in the bottom right corner of [my] comp's screen' when I'm playing with Goo. Or at any other time, as it happens. And even if I did, I don't think that was what the OP was asking for.

Some games have options to change volumes for fx/music, or adjust the level of contrapuntally harmonized syncopation. (Admitedly, not many offer the last one.) Is that so hard to come to terms with, Macattack?

As far as I know, Spin, there isn't such an option. Maybe someone else will be able to enlighten us (although I'd never turn the music or fx off personally, because they are awsome.)

V

(Oh; PS @ Mac - you meant ".. you're saying you're so dumb .." didn't you? Even if you are going to accuse someone of 'being dumb' - don't make stupid mistakes yourself. It's embarassing.)

Re: mute?Wiggles10/11/2008 - 17:57

I lol'd.  Both at Macattack's retarded post, and Vark's pwning reply.

I couldn't find this option, but I do think it would be useful.  I would like to listen to my own music while playing.

Re: mute?Tijmen00710/13/2008 - 09:39

Which OS are you running? Vista has a small icon in the task bar. It looks like a speaker and right click on it and goto options. There you will see some bars, general volum i guess and the programs running. If I'm right you should be adble to mute WoG that way.

Re: mute?Jonathan Harford10/14/2008 - 11:31

I went into the music directory and replaced every .ogg file with a 30-second silent .ogg (I used free Audacity to create said files). Now when I run the game I still get sound effects but no music.

I love the music, but after a while it's just a little... too... intense.

Re: mute?Vark10/14/2008 - 11:48

[quote author=Jonathan Harford link=topic=300.msg2716#msg2716 date=1224001910]
I went into the music directory and replaced every .ogg file with a 30-second silent .ogg ... Now when I run the game I still get sound effects but no music.

Now that's a clever bit of around-the-box thinking! I wonder if you got a OCD for that?  ;D

V

Re: mute?Kronzky10/14/2008 - 19:42

I rather listen to my own music while playing as well, so I wrote a little batch file that swaps those OGG files in and out.

Extract the attached zip file into your WorldOfGoo folder, and then run the script toggleSound.bat (just double-click on it).
It will create a backup version of every OGG file there is, and then replace it with a silent version.

Once you want sound again, just run it again, and it will restore the original versions.

By default ALL sounds are turned off. If you only want to disable specific sounds (e.g. just the music), change the Folder option inside that file (open it with Notepad, and follow the instructions).

You can get it from here.

Enjoy your silent Goo! :)

Last modified Wed, 10/15/2008 - 18:02 by Kronzky
Re: mute?Spindaden10/16/2008 - 02:22

Wow!

Thanks for the help guys.

The reason was actually so that I could play while my girlfriend watched TV or something on the other screen - so disabling all sound on the pc would be useless.

I'll try out the batch file later - have to go to work now.

Thanks again Kronzky! :D

Re: mute?slothful11/01/2008 - 02:01

Kronzky's script didn't work for me with the Steam version, so I adapted it.
copy silence.ogg into \res\music and run:
for %x in (*.ogg) do copy %x %x.old
for %x in (*.ogg) do copy /y silence.ogg %x

Re: mute?Kronzky11/01/2008 - 08:00

It seems to placed the batch file either into the res or the res\music folder.
But it should be placed into the game's root folder (where WorldOfGoo.exe resides).
Then, depending on which options you activate in the script, it will turn off either all sounds, or just the music, or sound effects, etc.

Re: mute?FreddyTheGit11/04/2008 - 16:55

Thanks for the batch file, had to edit the :noSilence section to be this

:noSilence
echo File silence.ogg has to be in \WorldOfGoo folder!  <-- removed \res from this line
pause
exit /b

Thanks

Re: mute?Vark11/06/2008 - 06:46

I've just listened again to the music. All of it. Yrly. And that really made my day/week.

So while I respect those who for whatever reason need to shut it out, Goo is about the 'whole experience.'

That's why it's important, imo, to listen to the soundtrack at once. Or about 10 times. At least.

V

Re: mute?evereux11/28/2008 - 13:12

Thanks for the script available above but it doesn't appear to work, at least on XP64.

%1 seems to loose the complete file path. eg it's set to just C:\Program and not C:\Program Files (x86)\WorldOfGoo\res\music\alwaysdestroythethingsilove(excerpt).ogg.

My command line skills are quite rusty now so I've resorted to using the manual way as listed by slothful (thanks) for now.

Cheers.

Re: mute?mrconti02/12/2009 - 22:53

Hell yeah!
Thank you very much, the script worked like a charm, does it save backup files somewhere?

Re: mute?Kronzky02/12/2009 - 23:38

It saves the sound files in the same folders they were in originally (it just renames them). That way you can easily switch them back on again when needed.

Re: mute?Windsurfer02/14/2009 - 22:34

Can't you just press ALT+M to mute the game?

Re: mute?Soultaker02/15/2009 - 08:13

@Windsurfer: only in the Linux version. ;-)