Can't play game in standard res

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Can't play game in standard res_jay10/13/2008 - 18:58

Hey, just bought the game but unfortunately can't even start it as I have a widescreen monitor (LG L204WT) that only supports resolutions of 1680 x 1050  :( can't play the game so pretty gutted - any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Re: Can't play game in standard resmorgante10/13/2008 - 19:56

I'm fairly sure that your monitor is not at fault.  1680x1050 is the native resolution, not the only one it can display.  Can you see the Windows loading screen or BIOS/POST info when you boot your computer?  If so, then your monitor is outputting (and likely upscaling) a lower resolution.  Most LCD monitors and video configurations will have the monitor or video card scale a lower resolution up to the native.  Otherwise, it will display the low resolution content in a small box with major letterboxing/pillar boxing.  I have a Dell 20" widescreen LCD with a 1680x1050 native res that scales the game just fine.

Do you get some sort of Windows error or does your monitor give a message when you start the game?

Re: Can't play game in standard resDirhael10/14/2008 - 07:32

I have the same model (LG204WT) and I can assure you that whatever problems you are having with playing the game, your monitor is not to blame. Really, I can't think of a single model released since the digital stone age that can't display a resolution of 800x600px.

Re: Can't play game in standard res_jay10/14/2008 - 12:49

yeah i worded that pretty bad  :P basically when I start something in a lower res, it onl displays a portion of the screen. i.e. when I start WOG, I can only see the left half of the screen..

the right hand side is 'off screen' if you know what i mean..

I had the same problem with football manager when it was fullscreen so i windowed it and it was ok but I can't seem to find a window option for this..

sorry if i'm overlooking something really obvious but any help at all would be much appreciated!

Re: Can't play game in standard res_jay10/14/2008 - 15:51

k ignore me i've sorted it out, was being an uber noob lol.. thanks for your comments guys  :)