Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaround

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundfixermark10/14/2008 - 09:09

Hey all!

I'm using a PC running Windows XP. I pre-ordered World of Goo months ago (familiar with Tower of Goo, so I was super-excited when this project was announced). I was having a great time with it, but I ran into trouble after my first play session: on subsequent sessions, the game would silently fail to save my progress. Sadness!

I poked around a bit and discovered that the game's save file is under "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo". But since I don't run as an administrator on my computer, that file is read-only to me. So I had to change folder permissions to make the WorldOfGoo folder read-write for my user account, then things were gravy.

If you have the same problem, check and see what your user permissions are. To get to that folder, you may have to change the default Windows file view options to show hidden files. In any Windows folder window, select "Folder options" from the Tools menu, go to the "View" tab, and toggle on the "Show hidden files and folders" option in the "Advanced settings" scolling panel. To change permissions, you'll also need to un-check the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" option at the bottom of that panel. Now, you can right-click on the WorldOfGoo folder I described previously, click on the "Security" tab, select your user in the "Group or user names" list (you may have to click Add... if your user isn't in the list), and click the "Allow" checkbox for the "Modify" option in the "Permissions for Administrators" panel. Easy as pi.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of a way to just change the save file location for the game, that would be a better fix; Windows purists will tell you that non-administrators shouldn't be able to write to those directories, but it won't cause any harm here.

Aside from this one issue, the game has been a lot of fun. I foolishly stayed awake until 3AM playing it, so the addictive properties are already kicking in. Congratulations 2DBoy, you've made crack!

Re: Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundThe Happy Friar10/14/2008 - 11:34

I've had that same issue with practicly everything I've installed in windows: never any permission to even USE the software.  :/  Linux does it sooooo much better.

but it's saved that way because of the profiles: all user accounts can access the same profiles.  *I* don't like that way (more & more games are saving in the "all users" folder, which I don't like) but that's the way the world is going.  :/

what would be great is if it adds a environment variable that lets you specify where to save the save games.

Re: Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundPeriastron10/14/2008 - 14:02

Why on Earth isn't the save created in the user's AppData directory, I wonder?

Re: Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundBagras10/14/2008 - 16:06

I can not to find the "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" option. I have Windows XP Home Edition (Czech, SP3). What now? :-[

Re: Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundron10/22/2008 - 21:58

if anyone is still experiencing this problem please let me know through our contact page (http://2dboy.com/contact.php).  i have a fix and would like a couple of people to test it before we release the patch.

Re: Pre-order version won't save in WinXP bug and possible workaroundBulzurco9605/31/2009 - 09:48

thanks a lot i was searching around everywhere to find a fix and you finally helped me thanks a lot :) :) :) :) :) :)