Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.ceekay10/15/2008 - 02:13

Played last level, credits rolled, then things faded to black and I would have expected to go back to the menu. Instead I got a purple screen with a bunch of crazy black squares floating by. Attached a couple screenshots. In the actual screen the black squares were moving around much faster. It was almost as if I was zommed in extremely close to some goo balls in the main menu (i.e. at the bottom of the 'R' in "WORLD"). Note the screenshots are in windowed mode, but I was running in fullscreen before that. Anyway, Alt+F4 to kill the game, restarted it, beat the last level again and all looks fine. Just seemed odd.

Attachment: squares1.GIF (41.09 KB, 252 downloads)
Attachment: squares2.GIF (46.02 KB, 263 downloads)
Re: Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.cpralle10/16/2008 - 13:36

I'm getting this too, 5 times now.  Game plays just fine, but when I hit exit from a level (mostly when leaving "World of Goo Corp.", but not always...) I get these same screens.  Some details:

[li]Home screen music is still running in the background.
    If you click and drag near the left or right side of the screen, you get a really big "excited bubble" graphic which you drag around with your mouse.
    Save game works from the last exit before the crash.[/li]
    [li][/li]

I'm running Nvida 8800GT and I just upgraded to the 10/15 release of graphics drivers but still have the problem
Also, I'm running Vista 64.

Re: Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.Try_lee10/16/2008 - 16:46

Oh wow, I get this too!
My PC tends to crash and get graphics corruption more than once a day, so I figured this was just my PC being as crappy as usual.  GeForce 6800GT here, XP Pro SP3.

Re: Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.bpullen10/19/2008 - 19:54

I'm getting the same. Experienced this at the end of chapters 2 and 4. Had to ALT+F4 and then restart the game. Using an 8800GTX under Vista Ultimate X86.

Re: Crazy purple + black square screen after end of game.Marius10/20/2008 - 06:25

I've had this a few times as well. Can't quite put my finger on what's causing it, or how to reproduce it, but it seems to have something to do with cutscenes. And possibly alt-tabbing/alt-entering