Black screen with theme music after startup

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Black screen with theme music after startupInputOutput10/15/2008 - 07:08

I've had world of goo for a week now, but haven't had time to look into this: on my WinXP machine world of goo installs, runs but I get only a black screen. However, the theme music plays fine. With a few CTRL-ALT-DELETEs I can get the task manager and kill the process. This strange moreover because I pre-ordered the game and the preview worked fine on the same machine.

I tried updating my nVidia drivers, to no avail. I tried setting my desktop resolution to 800x600 before startup, but this also didn't help. Anyone any ideas on what I can try to make it work?

machine is a Dell precision 530 with dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz processors and a nvidia geforce 7800gs card.

Re: Black screen with theme music after startuppogon10/15/2008 - 10:24

Hi !

Exactly the same happens for me !
  Glad (hm) to hear that sombody else has the same problem !
  AMD 5400+  NV 8500GT
  When the task manager bring me back to the desktop
  i can start the game from the bottomlist in the screen !!??
  Even i hope for some answer

/    PeO

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupvankhoa_james10/15/2008 - 10:52

It has also happened to me, Pentium D 2.8 GHz, intel 82945
No one knows how to solve it?

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupKillerBee10/15/2008 - 13:48

I am also having the same problem.  I do not have a software firewall of any kind running.

I am on Vista 32, bought the game through Steam, and am an administrator on this computer.

When the game loads, I am greeted with a black screen and a mouse cursor.  I am able to move the mouse around, but otherwise my computer is totally unresponsive.  Alt+tab, CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+F4 all do nothing.  I have to hard reboot in order to get back to the desktop.

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupsh0dan10/15/2008 - 13:48

Copied from Discussion, where it doesn't really belong:

Quote:

Actually the exact reason is that your graphics card uses a refresh rate that your monitor doesn't support. Usually this is because the cable you use for your monitor doesn't pass the monitor information to your graphics card.

If you have another cable, shut down your computer, attach it, and your monitor should be fine when it starts back up. This fixed it for me. If you don't, you have to find some way of restricting the driver to only use 60Hz in 800x600 your problem is also solved.

This wasn't a problem on the pre-release, so it is a new bug. It should probably be addressed in an upcoming patch.  *HINT* *HINT*

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupron10/15/2008 - 18:52

i've seen this once before with an external monitor that i attached to my laptop.  i hit ALT+ENTER to put the game in windowed mode (it took a few seconds), then ALT+ENTER again to put it back into fullscreen mode and then it worked fine.  haven't looked into why that's happening yet, but give it a try and see if this workaround at least lets you play the game.  of course, if you can just leave it in windowed mode if you prefer.

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupvankhoa_james10/16/2008 - 00:29

Admin, can we do the same if screen shows "out of range" (also has theme music)?

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupInputOutput10/18/2008 - 07:28

Thanks Ron, workaround works for me.

Finally, my Goo cometh forth!

Re: Black screen with theme music after startupInputOutput10/19/2008 - 04:07

Another fix is to go to the display properties and set the refresh rate from automatic to something your monitor can actually handle at 800x600.