New version which fixes fatal error & saves deleted, hasn't saved my progress!

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
New version which fixes fatal error & saves deleted, hasn't saved my progress!Roadshow10/15/2008 - 11:20

Hi guys,
I yesterday downloaded the new version of the game and played through zone one again. When I came to play this evening my profile remains but once again I am at level1 with 0 Goo saved.
Maybe the fix needs fixing?

Re: New version which fixes fatal error & saves deleted, hasn't saved my progress!ron10/15/2008 - 11:55

does the login you're using on windows have access to the profile data file?  it lives in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo on XP and in C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo on Vista.  i've heard of something similar from a friend where his kids' accounts had read access to that file, but no write access, so the game couldn't save the data. 

Re: New version which fixes fatal error & saves deleted, hasn't saved my progresRoadshow10/15/2008 - 13:47

Program permissions in Vista are a dark art of which I have little knowledge, but I have had no problems with either the pre-order version or the original release version saves.
I tried uninstalling, restarting and installing to a different location but the bug remained.
In the end I tried deleting the pers2.dat file in the location you describe above and, fingers crossed, this seems to have fixed the problem. So my best guess is that the file corrupted when the original version fatal errored and that the new install didn't overwrite it.

Anyhow if it goes wrong again I'll post again.

Thanks,

Ian