Steam and on-line requirements

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Steam and on-line requirementsShaamaan10/15/2008 - 18:03

Hey there goo makers!

Here's the thing. I bought the game via Steam and it works fine, really. Thumbs up. BUT...

Is there any chance to run this game without having to run Steam all the time? This isn't really an issue, unless my Internet connection goes down the drain (not THAT drain, mind you), and then I can't start neither Steam, nor World of Goo...

And I hear the happy people who bought the game with PayPal via your site don't have that problem, right? So... pretty please?

PS. The Virtual Goo Corp... is not gooey enough anymore. Any way to get the old one back?

Re: Steam and on-line requirementsdentz10/16/2008 - 09:08

soz this is of NO help to you but just thought id add my bit about "steam" - its a pain & the reason i stopped playing half-life II because it was always wanting to d/l or update something, put me right off & wouldnt start to play offline. still GOO is cool :-)

Re: Steam and on-line requirementsonlinetimc10/16/2008 - 09:56

The version the kind guys here gave me when I brought from the site, is steam free.
Don't worry Virtual Goo Corp doesn't stay too long.

Re: Steam and on-line requirementsShaamaan10/16/2008 - 13:51

I know the "direct from the goo page" version is Steam free... but I got mine off Steam (though it will be a goo-d idea to be able to play it if I am at a different computer).

So... any help? Couldn't I just get the non-Steam version somehow (I mean, besides buying it again, as that's a bit besides the point)?

Re: Steam and on-line requirementsShaamaan10/19/2008 - 16:46

Come on... any help? Please...?

Re: Steam and on-line requirementstristen77810/19/2008 - 16:59

Well buy the ne not for Steam Like ME ;D and by the way beat Chapter 4 virtual goo corp should dissapear P.S. I never beat Mom's Computer anybody got any tips

Re: Steam and on-line requirementslocomorto10/19/2008 - 21:13

If you cannot get access to the internet when you start steam, then it will ask you something along the lines of:

'Start in Offline Mode'/'Retry'

Choose offline mode, and any games that your account which was previously logged in knew about will be playable. You can be in offline mode indefinitely until you can access the internet again.