profil problem

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
profil problemgeorge17510/16/2008 - 08:08

Hi, I have problem , after quiting and relaunching the game the profile is not there and i have to play it from the beggining… any ideas what to do with it? thx

Re: profil problemNoobCakes10/17/2008 - 15:27

Unfortunately, this game saves profiles in a directory that's not writable by limited accounts by default. What that means is unless you're logged in as an administrator, you won't be able to save games. If your problem is indeed what I've described, then there's a simple solution. Log into an administrator account, then open windows explorer, and navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo directory. Right-click on the WorldOfGoo directory and click properties. Go to the security tab (if you don't see a security tab, follow the directions on THIS PAGE to enable it). In the "Group or user names" list, find the "Users" group, highlight it (just left click), then in the "Permissions for Users" list, make sure that "Write" is checked off in the "Allow" column. After that, limited user accounts should be able to save the game.

I find it weird that, after so many years after Windows XP has been available, that some games still assume that everyone uses an administrator account, which causes limited accounts to not be able to save. The right thing to do would be to create a save game in each user's home directory, or make the WorldOfGoo directory as it is now writable for all users by default, though I would prefer the former solution, since I don't like giving other users access to my saved games.

Do the devs read this forum, or do I have to post about this somewhere else to catch their attention? I like the game, from what I've seen so far in the demo, but it annoys me whenever I run into programs that don't function properly under limited accounts, and it's probably trivial to fix.

Last modified Fri, 10/17/2008 - 15:30 by NoobCakes