Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D device

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceDanielZKlein10/25/2008 - 15:49

Hey,

Love Tower of Goo, but couldn't seriously see how this would be expanded into a real game. Reviews didn't help any, so I downloaded the demo to have a look before buying the game. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't run. Starting it causes my screen to turn black for a moment, the LED goes from green to orange and back to green, and my screen comes back on with a message from World of Goo saying "Failed creating Direct3D device". I have the latest DirectX (9.0c) installed, I have a Radeon X1950 Pro graphics card, 1.5 gigs of RAM, and a single core CPU somewhere around 3 ghz.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me run this demo. I want to love this game and give you all my monies! Well, kinda ;)

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceThe Happy Friar10/25/2008 - 16:38

must be your drivers.  make sure you're getting them from the ATI site & not windows update.

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceDanielZKlein10/25/2008 - 19:40

I have the latest drivers installed and that didn't help either. Note that a lot of other games are running just fine--Civilization IV, Call of Duty 4, Warhammer Online, etc.

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceDanielZKlein10/27/2008 - 15:37

Is there some email address to write to to get support or is there anything else I can do?

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D devicekyle10/27/2008 - 16:19

It might be a refresh rate issue. We've fixed that that issue in the new build of the game, but the demos never got updated, since they are splattered everywhere.

One thing you can try, is when the game starts, quickly press alt+enter, to make the game go into windowed mode. Does this help?

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceThe Happy Friar10/27/2008 - 20:59

you can use the catylist control panel to force a certain refresh rate for the game when it's in full screen.  I'd try that too.

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D devicebeckj0110/28/2008 - 03:25

I am having the same problem, would anybody be able to offer me any advise?
Thanks

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceThe Happy Friar10/28/2008 - 21:21

did you do the advise I recommended?

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D devicesnoopy6910/31/2008 - 11:06

sry for bad english, i'm russian.
omfg! I have same problem, advice with "alt+enter" don't work=(

Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D deviceron01/16/2009 - 10:50

in the cases we've seen so far, this is an issue caused by anti-malware software or firewall software.  if you have anti-virus or anti-malware software, try disabling it.  threatfire and look'n'stop are both known to cause crashes like this (threatfire actually needs to be uninstalled in order for the game to run, disabling isn't enough).

also, check out this post for the firewall issue:
http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,246.msg3013.html#msg3013

Last modified Fri, 01/16/2009 - 10:52 by ron
Re: Demo won't run: Failed creating Direct3D devicetdms01/23/2009 - 06:48

Hi,
I've had exactly the same issue: my screen turned black and switched off every time I launched the demo (I have a Windows vista OS, an Ati graphic card, and all my drivers are updated).
I managed to solve this problem in pressing the keys CTRL+ESC when the black screen appears. The screen turns on again, and goes back to the windows desktop. Then all I have to do is to click on the Goo program in the taskbar, and everything works fine.

I'm glad this worked, because I really wanted to try this awesome game.