Game not propely configured?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Game not propely configured?Upton_pickman10/26/2008 - 11:33

Hey, I played the demo of World of Goo and loved it, so I bought the full version.

Unfortunately, the full version doesn't work stating that the application is not propely configured (I'm using the Dutch version of XP, so I don't know the proper translation).

I have SP3 installed with every driver up to date. My laptop is a Intel 1,73 Ghz (I don't know which processor type, sorry) with 2GB RAM

Is there any difference between the demo and the full version that could cause this problem? And more importantly does anyone know how I can solve it?

Re: Game not propely configured?thejlg10/26/2008 - 12:46

Same problem here.

Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/26/2008 - 17:00

Also, I get the same error, even after multiple re-installs.

My kids are going to kill me soon...need help...got to get Goo..help..neeed heeeeelp!

Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/27/2008 - 17:09

My kids and I enjoyed the demo, and decided to buy the full version of the game. We downloaded the full game and tried to run it, but every time we try to start the game...no matter how many times we delete it and reinstall, we get the following message...

"C:\Program Files\WorldOfGoo\WorldOfGoo.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

We have done multiple installs, even removing the installed demo version and reinstalling the full ver. However we always get the same message.

We have reinstalled the demo version and it works fine...wish we could authenticate from there. Can you please help us/direct us to a solution?

thank you
CrawDaddy

Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/27/2008 - 17:44

I just downloaded and tried the latest version as well and no luck just the same ol message. Is there a way to authenticate the demo...it seems to run just fine?

CrawDaddy

Re: Game not propely configured?Marius10/27/2008 - 18:10

For the record, the problem is not with the authentication. The full version has no authentication.

I don't know what the problem is, besides that it's not that, though.

Re: Game not propely configured?ltworek10/27/2008 - 23:23

Try running the game and the goto Start->Run->eventvwr.msc /s

Goto the application area and post back the last error you see, hopefully it will be goo related.  My hunch is that you are missing a dependency (dll) that goo requires.

You can also try running dependency walker on WorldOfGoo.exe and see if throws any errors at you. http://www.dependencywalker.com/  (once you load it up in dependency walker hit profile->start profiling, which should start the game and show which dependencies, if any are missing).

Last modified Mon, 10/27/2008 - 23:26 by ltworek
Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/28/2008 - 09:06

Has anyone here been given a solution to this issue? It would seem there are quite a few folks posting here and at GreenHouse, and though Kristin at GreenHouse is quick and friendly, I have yet to hear from 2D Boy in an official capacity. As I understand it 2D is just a couple of guys working really hard and I get all that. It would be nice to have a heads-up from 2D, and a estimation on a "fix", or at least a "hiya, we are working on it".

Anyway...I look forward to the time I can let the kids go nuts on the physics of Goo. And I'll shut up from here until a response is sent or posted.

Good luck 2D and may yer bugs be few and easily squished,

CrawDaddy

Re: Game not propely configured?Boudin10/28/2008 - 09:47

This message may mean that you have wrong version of some needed DLL files. I don't know what dll are needed by World Of Goo nor if these are copied under world of goo install folder (I'll check when i'll be home) but you can try to install VC++ 2005 redistribuable (like this : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en ) or VC++ 2008 redistribuable (like this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en).

You may have details on wrong dll in System log of the event manager.

I don't know if this will help but it may worth the try

Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/28/2008 - 16:01

Boudin, are you a Goo support person? One of the official folks that actually speaks for this company? I think it is great to have a Forum where gamers can exchange ideas and solutions to issues specific to each product, and I thank you for the info. (though I am still not quite sure if I have the skills to accomplish what you are setting forth as a solution..as I am a noober with tech stuff)  Having said this, I still would like to hear from the "2" folks that developed this product as to what solution or time line for a solution might be....so far I am unable to get anything remotely close to real support. Though Kristin at Green House answered my e-mails, she is not the tech person with the ability to solve the fact that the game won't work...heck I can even get to a screen that allows me to put in my authentication number.  So, thank you Boudin for the advice, I will give it a shot...but I still wanna hear from 2D! :-[

Re: Game not propely configured?Marius10/28/2008 - 16:20

[quote author=CrawDaddy link=topic=609.msg4594#msg4594 date=1225227677]heck I can even get to a screen that allows me to put in my authentication number.[quote author=Marius link=topic=609.msg4512#msg4512 date=1225149043]For the record, the problem is not with the authentication. The full version has no authentication.

I don't know what the problem is, besides that it's not that, though.

Re: Game not propely configured?CrawDaddy10/28/2008 - 17:10

Marius,

Right, right...but as I originally posted the error message was

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect".

I just deleted all versions of the game Goo and reinstalled, and still the same message. But, as I mentioned before, the Demo works just fine.

How would I apply my license key by the way?

Re: Game not propely configured?Marius10/28/2008 - 17:21

[quote author=CrawDaddy link=topic=609.msg4605#msg4605 date=1225231807]How would I apply my license key by the way?I don't get what you mean by this, or you don't get what I mean by what I said.
You don't need to apply a license key.
You only need to do that in the beta.
You don't need to do that in the full version anymore.

Re: Game not propely configured?Boudin10/29/2008 - 05:08

I'm not from 2DBoy, just a player.
I say this because this error message is not from the game itself but a generic one (a little search on any search engine will show you a lot of these). It's not linked to a an "activation" problem since there's not and even if there was, the game is not running, this error occurs before.

Re: Game not propely configured?BeSD10/29/2008 - 16:08

Boudin has already posted a possible solution.
[quote author=Boudin link=topic=609.msg4636#msg4636 date=1225274893]
(like this : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en ) or VC++ 2008 redistribuable (like this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en).

When you google your error 9 out of 10 results will adress you to the Visual C++. Which means it is possible that some of these files are corrupt or missing. Reinstalling Visual C++ should be a solution. ;)

Re: Game not propely configured?pudeldestodes10/30/2008 - 12:15

I've just bought the game from playgreenhouse.com and I get the same error message (in German, though). Obviously it has sth. to do with the .dlls - but what exactly? Honestly, I just started my Windows box to play this game and I really don't want to mess with the dll-hell again. So please, can we get some official support? Thanks in advance...

The demo version works fine, btw.

edit: In the "eventvwr.msc /s" program I can find this:

"Generate Activation Context ist für C:\Programme\WorldOfGoo\WorldOfGoo.exe fehlgeschlagen. Referenzfehlermeldung: Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet."

It says something like: Generate Activation Context failed for C:\[...]. Reference error message: the process was closes successfully.

Event id is 59.

Last modified Thu, 10/30/2008 - 12:23 by pudeldestodes
Re: Game not propely configured?Boudin10/30/2008 - 14:14

More informations about this message.
You've got this when msvc*.dll are too old in comparison with the manifest file. To verify this, open the file "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest" located in the World of Goo install directory with any text editor.

You'll have something like this :
<br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><br /><!-- Copyright © 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation --><br /><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><br />    <noInheritable/><br />    <assemblyIdentity <br />        type="win32" <br />        name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" <br />        version="8.0.50608.0" <br />        processorArchitecture="x86" <br />        publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"<br />    /><br />    <file name="msvcr80.dll"/><br />    <file name="msvcp80.dll"/><br />    <file name="msvcm80.dll"/><br /></assembly><br />

Look if you have, in the same directory, the 3 files listed above ("msvcr80.dll", "msvcp80.dll","msvcm80.dll" here)

If you've got these, verify that the version number is equal or higher than the manifest version  ("8.0.50608.0" here)
To check version, right click on the file and click on properties. Select Version tab, the first line is the version number. If the version number is equal or higher, the problem is elsewhere.

If it's a lower version this may be the source of the problem.

Make a directory call "Old Dll" or something like that in the World of goo directory, move the 3 files in this directory (this will avoid the use of these by World of Goo)
Download Microsoft Visual c++ 2005 SP1 runtime librairies and install it :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

This should work.

If you don't have any of the files in the directory, just download and install Runtime librairies

Re: Game not propely configured?pudeldestodes10/30/2008 - 14:19

Manifest says: 8.0.50608.0

Version in the directory: 8.0.50727.42

So this should not be the problem. I will try to play around with the demo files by copying some of them to the real installation.

Re: Game not propely configured?pudeldestodes10/30/2008 - 14:25

I have replaced the real .exe with the demo .exe - and it works. At least until now. I can play chapter 2 levels. Please fix that somehow...

Re: Game not propely configured?Boudin10/30/2008 - 14:51

Pretty strange. If someone have ther courage, it's possible to check the manifest of the .exe using a hexadecimal editor, you can see the same XML than the manifest file at the end of the file.

Re: Game not propely configured?ron11/03/2008 - 01:57

hey everyone, sorry for the late response, we're just two guys and things have been crazy since launch.  is anyone having this issue with the version they bought from our website, or is it all greenhouse people?

also, if there's someone out there that is having this problem and is at least mildly tech savvy, could you please send me an email via our contact page? (http://2dboy.com/contact.php).  i'd like to work with someone to figure this out.

Last modified Mon, 11/03/2008 - 02:04 by ron