Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D Boy

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D BoyxDURALx10/29/2008 - 22:27

About to buy this game, just have a couple questions.

1. If I buy the game directly from 2D Boy, can I activate it with Steam (essentially having the Steam version)?  I'm in the U.S. 

2. Are there any differences between the Steam/2D Boy versions?  Assuming the answer to #1 is no, are the achievements still there?

And kudos on forgoing DRM.  I passed on Far Cry 2 and Red Alert 3 due to Securom. 

Last modified Wed, 10/29/2008 - 22:32 by xDURALx
Re: Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D BoyMarius10/30/2008 - 10:41

1: No, not anymore. Only pre-orders could.
2: No, you don't have the steam achievements, only the ingame OCD achievements. As a plus, though, you get patches a few days earlier.

Re: Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D BoyThe Happy Friar10/30/2008 - 21:51

as of you direct from 2d also gets you the mac + (when released) linux version.  doubtful that will happen with steam.

Re: Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D BoySoultaker10/31/2008 - 08:49

There's also Greenhouse:
+ achievement system (through Nitrogen); should be similar to Steam, but I have no idea about the details.
+ $0.05 discount ;)
- online activation (once per install; no internet connection required afterwards)
- probably lags a little behind when it comes to game updates/fixes (this applies to the Steam version too)

I also think Greenhouse gives you a license key that works with all versions (Windows, Linux, Mac).

Re: Question about Steam vs. direct from 2D BoySalokyn12/27/2008 - 12:39

I bought WOG on Steam today (great game by the way ;) ), I guess that there's no way to use tha licence to get the linux version when it will be released right ?