Mac Version Save Game Location

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Mac Version Save Game LocationCodePenguin11/01/2008 - 00:53

Where does the Mac Version save the pers2.dat file?  I want to use my windows save game file on the mac instead but I can't seem to find the location.  Thanks.

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationCodePenguin11/01/2008 - 01:18

Save games on the Mac are stored in:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationCodePenguin11/01/2008 - 01:32

It looks like the save game files may not be portable.  I copied the one from my Vista machine to my Mac and when I run the game, it just creates a new file (All profiles are missing).  There are no error messages or anything.  Anyone else have success with moving save games from windows to the mac?

Re: Mac Version Save Game Locationron11/01/2008 - 02:24

that's correct, they're not portable between windows and osx.  it was a tradeoff we made in order to make them portable between PPC macs and intel macs.

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationSoultaker11/01/2008 - 12:07

That's interesting; I wonder what happens if you submit a Mac profile to my site. Any Mac user willing to give it a go?

Re: Mac Version Save Game Locationtridash11/01/2008 - 12:17

Nothing happens.

I compiled the c++ tool for decryption someone made under OS X, but while it could decrypt/encrypt windows save/general files, it couldn't do mac asset or save files.

If the encryption's byte-order dependent, that might be causing the problem? (if PPC/big-endian byte order has been used?)

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationSoultaker11/01/2008 - 14:36

It might be something like that, although I would expect AES to be defined in a byte-order independent manner; it makes no sense for a standard encryption algorithm to be platform dependent. Then again, maybe 2D Boy implemented it differently.

Would you mind e-mailing me a pers2.dat file from the Mac so I can take a good look at it?

Re: Mac Version Save Game Locationtridash11/01/2008 - 15:02

sent

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationKing_Louie02/03/2009 - 11:58

well, isee that you've managed to get the "wrong" format of mac's pers2.dat files onto your website.
Is there any possibility that you can write a pers2.dat Converter for Mac/Windows?  ::)
'cause i had an old Version of WoG whose savegames are in windows formated and i can't play these with the new 1.3...

Re: Mac Version Save Game Locationdavidc02/03/2009 - 19:06

GooTool->Advanced->Decrypt bin file (PC)
Advanced->Encrypt bin file (Mac)
or vice versa

http://goofans.com/gootool

Re: Mac Version Save Game Locationdavidc02/09/2009 - 19:22

GooTool 0.10.2 (just out) lets you backup your profile to the website and then restore it on another computer - you can restore on a different platform (PC/Mac/Linux). Let me know how well it works.

-davidc

Re: Mac Version Save Game LocationJoergvf08/26/2010 - 22:58

Thanks davidc!
Decrypt and Encrypt with GooTool works to transfer a savefile from Mac to Windows.
At least worked for me. I hope the inverse also works.